Y-strainer clogged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I started a thread this past winter where I wasn't getting my oil furnace temp over 130 , well the main problem was my y-strainer was clogged with what looked like a bunch of crushed egg shells . Now this was my first year with all new furnace pipe etc. .I've talked with my furnace co. and some other guys that make a living in the heating buss. and everyone is telling me its a lime calcium mineral deposit . I just finished up flushing the system out about a weeks worth in the evenings trying to get all of this stuff out of the system , it just keeps coming , well I finally think I have most of it out . A guy I know that manufactures heat exchangers and is very up on hot water systems says I'm going to have this problem every year unless I use either distilled water or water that hasn't been in the ground collecting minerals , such as rain water .What I don't get is I haven't heard anyone I know with a OWB having the same problem , anyone here heard of anything like this ???????

When I first moved into my house I have had a very bad problem with lime and very little iron. It was so bad I had to throw away a bunn coffee pot anyway I got a watersoftener and I have not had a problem since if not I would of had the same thing .

:agree2:

A good softener will solve other problems as well (clogged dish washers/hot water heaters /shower heads/heat exchangers etc).

Northeast PA water has so much lime in it it's crazy....I actually work in "Lime Ridge"...did you use well water? I used city water so it's not as bad but well water around here is full of lime. It should come out eventually as long as you don't have to keep adding water to the system. You could get your water tested also to find out what's in it.

Slick , your only about 25 miles from me . So maybe there is enough stuff in my water to cause this . I did use my well water , what gets me is I have no other problems at all with any appliances or mineral stains etc. . I was told the minerals will only come out of solution if heated , so any cold water related items isn't a problem . Well this whole thing just seems crazy , my furnace co. and my dealer never mentioned it and if I didn't have a heat plate I might not have even had a problem. I'm going to have to find a way to catch water off my shed and use that . I guess I'll have the same problem next year if I don't because with flushing all the stuff out I have put at least a 100 gallon of fresh water back into the system !!!!

Latest posts

Back