Ya can't win 'em all but this really hurts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been chasing this grove of Black Locust for about 4 years. I'd get 'wood' every time I went by. County Assessor says Randy is the person paying the taxes. Finally had a good talk with him the other day. He still says it isn't his but knows the guy farming it and the gal that does own it. Apparently his sister but he didn't specify. His opinion is that it needs to be cut and he put in a good word for me. No go. She "has a sentimental value in it" - it was the family home back when; in fact Randy was born in the house that was there.

However: 'sentimental value'?? A couple old falling down, rotting sheds and a bunch of dead/dying trees. Can't explain some peoples taste I guess.

Those trees are huge, Smallest on would be around 30" DBH and I would lay money on some of them going 48"

Randy.jpg

I did get a couple trees at another site out of the conversation though (thread "How not to harvest..."

Harry K

Bottom line is they are hers. If she wants to leave them there until they all fall down, it is nobody's business why. Having owned some timber property it is amazing that people expect to come on the place and cut firewood whenever a tree goes down.

I'd be hard pressed anymore to let anybody on my place with a chain saw. If something were to happen, the insurance folks would be coming after me.

You did the right thing by asking and your foot is in the door if she ever changes here mind.

Bottom line is they are hers. If she wants to leave them there until they all fall down, it is nobody's business why. Having owned some timber property it is amazing that people expect to come on the place and cut firewood whenever a tree goes down.

I'd be hard pressed anymore to let anybody on my place with a chain saw. If something were to happen, the insurance folks would be coming after me.

You did the right thing by asking and your foot is in the door if she ever changes here mind.

My scoring so far is about one success for each 10 times I ask.

As for not letting people cut. I have offered to, and was taken up on it once, to sign a "Hold Harmless" agreement. Just curious. Would that change your mind from a no to yes?

Harry K

Well it happens, I used to get turned down all the time only to see the wood lay there for years. As for letting folks on your property, We have become what I hated and that is a no trespass property. I wont let anyone there cutting mostly because I do and secondly because of the lawsuit thing. Finally as I told my neighbor who wanted to deer hunt after I told him we bought it to hunt, It was for sale when I bought it and anyone who wanted to hunt it could have bought it.

Don't nag her, but if you get the chance you could present it as you are helping her take care of the old place and keep it cleaned up.

Anyway, you got your name out there. Good chance that a year or two down the road she'll change her mind and you'll have a shot at it then. Or she'll mention you to other people. I've had work and wood cutting chances come back years after I made the first contact.

Mr. HE:cool:

There's a bad leaner thats going to crush her sentimental value.

There's more than one :). Almost every one of them is going to wind up out in the field. Locust wood does not rot but for some odd reason, they don't stay standing long after dying. Roots seem to rot out in short order. I suspect I will be the recipient the first time the farmer who rents it has to get rid of one :)

Harry K

Harry K

... 'sentimental value'?? A couple old falling down, rotting sheds and a bunch of dead/dying trees. ...

That's what creates sentimental value, the fact that they are no longer of any value relative to their original use. We have a couple of trees like that here. One has been dead for about 9 years now, and it is never going to be touched. It is out behind the barn and we have a picture of it taken around 1918 and another pic of it as a large tree taken around mid 1940's. Sometimes memories are worth much more than firewood - especially when the firewood would be going to someone with no connection to the place.

That's what creates sentimental value, the fact that they are no longer of any value relative to their original use. We have a couple of trees like that here. One has been dead for about 9 years now, and it is never going to be touched. It is out behind the barn and we have a picture of it taken around 1918 and another pic of it as a large tree taken around mid 1940's. Sometimes memories are worth much more than firewood - especially when the firewood would be going to someone with no connection to the place.

Yeah you put that very well, there is old dead standing oaks for the last 16 years down the road from me that I hope never come down.
That pictures looks cool and I could see why she wants things left alone.

Latest posts

Back