Rescore!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
might be time to hide a shovel full or two of snow in your freezer, at least make him take a bite or two to be a good sport.

Forgot the camera again. Went out and was half way down the slope when I realized I should not have done that. Seems theyi got a bit more rain than I did and the field had been worked up pretty loose. Plowed my way down and parked without trying to do any facy turning/backing. Hoped fo rhte sun to come and it did. I loaded a batch of rounds on he tailgate when I was ready to load up, got the truck backed around, loaded and left. Left ruts 6" or more deep but not problem once loaded.

I spent 4 hours doing a little cutting and a LOT of crawling around pitching crap into the garbage can. Got it almost cleaned up. All that time I kept asking myself why I'm doing it seeing as I already have enough wood to last me through my normal time on this earth.

Only interesting part was how that tree acted. It was a two stemmer, joined right at the rootball, wind blew it over with a huge rootall. I was cutting 'from the top', very nice as almost all was off the ground. One prop branch stretched ouit almost parallel. By the time I had the crap cut off and cleaned up it was mysteriouly no longer proping anything, Cut that up and jammed a round under the stem I was working on that was now the prop. Cut back past the prop with wedges and took a break. Then noticed that there was now a 6" clear space over the round I had jammed in there. That sucker is trying to stand back up!!

No rain today/tonight I'll give it another to tomorrow. should finish it but may be too much to haul one load. A very nice tree, all bark falling off (makes a mess to clean up though) and there is another small tree that came down with it sorta tangled up with it. Should be a cord or more total.

Harry K

Finished it in 3 1/2 hours. Very nice cutting, butt logs were about 16" bottom, 20" top. Very nice cutting:

nicecutting_zpsf666adaf.jpg

Only had to use a wedge once on the top stem out where it was touching hte bottom one. When I had the top one done, the bottom one had lifted enough to be just clear of the ground. Did have to "bite dirt" a bit on the last two rounds as it had buried itself almost 1/2 depthin into a trough

messy_zps78afe98f.jpg

A bit more brushing out and pitching it over the bank and I was done. That last round from the top log almost did me in. 2 more ounces and I would have had to noodle it. I left that little log on the right as I was bit tired.Wouldn't have taken anothe 20 minutes to cut and load it. I'll pick it up next trip - probably after harvest.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back