yah yah...all talk no proof

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it. Who am I to say that he should put more time into cleaning his pool manually and keep the tree? Who are you to say what someone should do with their property? Keep it or get rid of it. If they want it gone are you going to jump in front yelling "stop "of the next company equipped to remove it, because the tree should be loved instead of removed?.

good point! I try and educate customers on land clearing and "sculpting" as that is my primary line of work but I have lost jobs because I wasn't saying "yes" enough. The next guy ended up butchering the job but it got done. I rather do something I don't like to do and do it safely (protect surrounding trees from oak wilt exposure, etc.) than to have a hack rape the land and surrounding trees. I get calls all the time to remove trees for a driveway when a pruning would be sufficient. That is a tough job to take knowing (but unable) to convince the customer to leave the tree. Some people don't respect trees. At least those of us who have a conscious can remove the tree repectfully.

skool dayze

I feel the same way you do. If you would have walked away on principle, you might have missed an opportunity for a paycheck. Someone else would have been hired and they may not have done a "respectful" job preventing collateral damage, etc. It doesn't always feel good to do a removal but sometimes it's a necessary part of this business. I am just learning that. Walking away on principle usually means that you will line the pockets of the next guy. If you are forced out of the removal business, then how can you afford to plant trees in your later years? The fact that the insurance company wanted the tree down makes it easier to swallow for someone like me.

Reminds me of something my old Arbo Prof. use to say: When asked, "when is the best time to prune a tree?" his answer was "whenever someone is willing to pay for it!":laugh:
Same applies for removals, I will always discuss options first, but NEVER walk away from a tree job that pays!:D

I will always discuss options first, but NEVER walk away from a tree job that pays!:D
One more tiny step down this old road--i've walked away from a few because the customer was arborphobic or just plain pigheaded, but when trees hang over a swimming pool and can't be pruned to solve the problem, sure they have to go.

A little lean on a tree with a solid trunk that can be easily solved by pruning? That's arborphobia pure and simple. olddirty looks to balance it out by replanting, which is :cool:. In time he may find it easy to sell pruning instead, and care for the tree for the rest of his working life.

We all got our ways and means. I like to whip out the green laserpointer and show the client where the cuts will be. A very effective sales tool.

Around here you'd be buying a new green laser pointer every 2nd day coz they get busted trying to knock some sense into the thick heads. lol :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back