yamabond

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It says "Non-Hardening" right on the package... That's another reason I thought it would be okay.

Oh well, I don't know, that's why I ask. :)

It's kind of semi non hardening,You can use the grey but just hit a bike shop and get a tube of Hondabond 4, Yamabond 4 no longer available

It's kind of semi non hardening,You can use the grey but just hit a bike shop and get a tube of Hondabond 4, Yamabond 4 no longer available

I'm putting together a 029 super clam shell... I want the Hondabond 4 for that?

I've never used the stuff and I don't know anything about it.

I asked the local Stihl dealer, and he said they just use silicone... I know THAT'S a no-no, I asked him to look up the price of a tube of the stuff Stihl recommends (I can't remember the name of it right now), it was like $16! DAMN! I'm only gonna use a couple drops of the stuff! :)

Been a motorcycle mechanic for 22yrs,over the time mostly at Yamaha dealerships(Here in NZ and AUS),Yamabond is really good stuff,sealing crankcases together(no gaskets,if it fails its a complete re-strip down!!)etc,clean surfaces(petrol on a clean rag)apply to one surface,not to thick or thin and yeah give it a minute and assemble,Ive rebuilt more motors than I can remember using this stuff and trust me Ive never had a leak.The golden rule as with any rebuild is that"Cleanlyness is next to holynest",remember that simple line and you wont go wrong,trust me.
Hope this helps.

I just stopped at the yamaha shop. he only had yamabond 5. is this acceptable for base sealant?

I don't know about 5. I bought a couple tubes of 4 about a year ago. My local shop is no longer a dealer so I whipped into a Yamaha dealership while I was on a trip.

My procdure for use is-

clean both surfaces thoroughly
apply a thin coat to both surfaces- I use a putty knife to get a thin, even coat
install and give a little twist to the cylinder
bolt everything on and run the saw- I have not had a problem running saws within 20 minutes of apply YB4

Last edited:
I know this is kinda off subject, but has anybody ever thought of using Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket? It's some old school sticky brown goo in a white bottle with a brush top lid. I never really thought about it until I found a couple bottles in the shop from a while back. We used to use it in the rock quarry to seal paper gaskets. It says it can be used for close-fitting machined surfaces and is resistant to gasoline, oil, and grease up to 400*. I think it would work on a base gasket and a bottle would last 2 lifetimes. Available at almost any parts store.

Form a gasket is non hardening, like pipe dope, if that makes a difference to you. I use it on gaskets all the time, but would not use it on machined surfaces.

My understanding is you would NOT want to use the NON-Hardening in this application. Permatex makes a hardening and non-hardening material and I believe Yama/Honda-bond does too, make sure you know which one you have. I use the non-hardening on my differential case cover and valve covers. Something like a cylinder base or crank case is where I would use the hardening material.

From Permatex's web site:
Form-A-Gasket® #1: fast drying, hard setting, designed for rigid materials and flanges. Form-A-Gasket® #2: slow drying, non hardening, designed for sealing cut gaskets on non-rigid, vibrating, stamped parts, allows for easy disassembly if required

Where would you use the Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No.3 Sealant? The Aviation Form-A-Gasket is a slow drying, non-hardening, sealant, resists gasoline, oil and grease. It is used for close-fitting machined surfaces, sealing hoses and solid gaskets.

One thing to be careful of is how much you use. Never use too much of it as it can/will squish out when mated together. Its more important in 4 stroke engines because if you use too much and it drips on the inside of your engine it could come lose and block and oil port.

From what little info is available in that link, I would use Yamabond 4 as it said it is sutible for high temperature. It said it is "drying" I consider that hardening... Or save a few dollars and get Permatex brand. Just my $0.02

Back