Yard Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
IMG_20140330_102107_675.jpg IMG_20140330_102112_821.jpg
Here is a yard tree for you.
This is at my Mother's house.
I can remember putting the Chain in the crook of the tree, about 15 years ago.

It's amazing what a tree can soak up given enough time! I'm sure everyone on here has seen pictures of old bicycles embedded halfway in a tree and standing 10 feet off of the ground. A couple years back I anchored 2 bolts that had eyelets into a chestnut oak. Now they're almost completely covered.

A buddy dropped a 40" silver maple a couple years ago and it had a 10" red cedar inside the trunk. That was a PITA to split with all the cedar branches holding everything together. We ended up noodling most of it.

I would rather not cut yard trees for that reason...makes for an expensive day when you start finding nails, wire, fence, bolts, etc...I even found a horseshoe once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I would rather not cut yard trees for that reason...makes for an expensive day when you start finding nails, wire, fence, bolts, etc...I even found a horseshoe once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I was out on a scrounge a couple of years ago off of CL and was working on my 4th truck load of some decent maple when I saw the sparks flying on a rather deep cut. I stopped and said a few choice words which brought the homeowner over to see what was the matter. I explained it to him and he became very apologetic and upset at having caused any harm and asked if he could replace my chain. I told him not to bother as I'd enjoyed meeting him and his wife and had gotten some good wood out of it and also it was an old chain and I'd barely caught whatever it was, so the damage wasn't extensive.

I touched up the chain and moved on to take another slow cut and never did find another piece of metal that day. The homeowner disappeared for awhile so I took another load home. When I returned, there were three brand new chains in their boxes on top of the main log. I thanked the homeowner, but didn't bother to tell him that while he'd gotten the right length, they wouldn't fit my saw. I exchanged them for something else...

Every now and then you run into good people!

BTW, upon splitting I did find a number of eye bolts that had been screwed into the tree over the years. Just a matter of luck whether you hit 'em or not I suppose...

I was out on a scrounge a couple of years ago off of CL and was working on my 4th truck load of some decent maple when I saw the sparks flying on a rather deep cut. I stopped and said a few choice words which brought the homeowner over to see what was the matter. I explained it to him and he became very apologetic and upset at having caused any harm and asked if he could replace my chain. I told him not to bother as I'd enjoyed meeting him and his wife and had gotten some good wood out of it and also it was an old chain and I'd barely caught whatever it was, so the damage wasn't extensive.

I touched up the chain and moved on to take another slow cut and never did find another piece of metal that day. The homeowner disappeared for awhile so I took another load home. When I returned, there were three brand new chains in their boxes on top of the main log. I thanked the homeowner, but didn't bother to tell him that while he'd gotten the right length, they wouldn't fit my saw. I exchanged them for something else...

Every now and then you run into good people!

BTW, upon splitting I did find a number of eye bolts that had been screwed into the tree over the years. Just a matter of luck whether you hit 'em or not I suppose...

That was a nice gesture on the homeowners part. Most would've just said: oh well buddy, guess you're S.O.L. The bolts that I screwed into the tree that are almost covered got marked with neon safety orange paint from a spray can for reference later on. It's not a matter of IF that tree is coming down, but WHEN. I'd like to remember where I put them so I'm not kicking myself in the rear end later on.

Back