Yarder graveyard pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is. A bad picture of the brand new Thunderbird on its first job. My first scan job. Scanning is easy!
attachment.php

This was taken just outside of Morton. It was a clearcut, you can't see the steep part. The road was so bad they hired independent truckers to haul on it. I didn't have a 4x4 so walked in. It was second growth, one of the loggers said his dad was in on the original logging of it. The part above the yarder was downhilled to the landing.

This is the unit where the cutters didn't buck all the way through the logs and were told to get back and buck them on the landing or else. I was walking around the unit boundary, trying to check the cutting, but you didn't dare go into the unit, logs would shift and roll on their own. I'm glad I don't have to work on that kind of ground now. It would be a 5 ibuprofen unit.

Nice picture! I hate to be on the landing with a turn coming down the hill at you quickly! There's some rough country up there, need to take a field trip up that way sometime. I haven't been up Hwy 12 that way in forever

Watch the haulback!

It was May and I was 16. I had been setting chokers about a week on a high lead rig at Dyer Logging near Kelsey Bay, B.C. While the turn was going in I asked the Rigging Slinger if I could get a drink at a trickle of water about 40 feet from the centerline of the 3/4 inch haul-back. He said, "yeah, but watch the haul-back, OK?" So I'm on my knees in the mud bending over my aluminum hardhat pushing the rim into the mud and the trickle of water to separate out a little water clean enough to drink when a loud Whack! I see the flash of the cable hit square across the brim and disappear in a flash! It was the first time I knew a person could jump backwards over 6 feet from a kneeling position! The Rigging Slinger was quite amused and advised me, sotto voice, "Gotta keep an eye on that Haul-back, eh?" Of course from then I did! It was my first exposure to the "Gallows Humor" loggers use daily. I wore that hat with the crease in the brim until I left the woods the next January to go into the RCAF.
RTSlater

Latest posts

Back