yellow chain and green chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit box

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stihl green chain has an extra raker and semi chisel chain on my pole saw. Oregon 16 inch DM59 green chain has full chisel and is semi tooth chain. My 20 inch Stihl yellow chain is full chisel and no extra link. Madsen logging site advises full chisel on 24 inch or less bars. They advise 25 inch and longer full chisel and semi tooth. Any input?

You can get low kick back or regular chain in full chisel or semi chisel.

I have a few semi chisel chains for dirty wood but I usually use full chisel. The chains I like are regular kickback chains but low kickback chains work ok too. They don't do bore cuts as well as regular chains, and sometimes I have a problem with them acting like the rakers are too high when the teeth are pretty worn. But generally they work ok.

My experience it with Stihl low kickback chain, others may or may not work as well.

Stihl green chain has an extra raker and semi chisel chain on my pole saw. Oregon 16 inch DM59 green chain has full chisel and is semi tooth chain. My 20 inch Stihl yellow chain is full chisel and no extra link. Madsen logging site advises full chisel on 24 inch or less bars. They advise 25 inch and longer full chisel and semi tooth. Any input?

My input:

The yellow/green thing is just about the anti-kick-back features...you're calling "extra rakers."

The semi- versus full-chisel is the shape of the cutters, Totally separate issue from the yellow/green.

I suspect you are misquoting the the Madsen's site. Probably they are saying full comp on short chains and semi-skip on longer. Full comp/semi-skip/full-skip is not really related to either anti-kick-back or cutter shape. (I imagine, in reality, there are no semi-skip anti-kick-back chains...but, there could be).

Roy

If it is going on a pole saw buy the stihl yellow chain or any of the oregon 3/8lp chains, they're all low/anti kickback. You dont want an aggressive chain on a pole saw.

I've found there's not much difference between yellow or green chain limbing or cutting small trees. The only time I can feel the green/low kick back chain slowing me down is in wood over 8 or 10 inches in size.
My top handle that's used for trimming brush or limbs has low kick back chain on it, all my other saws have yellow/non safety chain on them.

Back