Yer Education?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your education

• high school dropout

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • high school

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • some college

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • 2 yr degree

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • 4 yr degree

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • advanced degree

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • trade school

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
I spent to much time drinkin and chasin girls when I was in college, that may have been the reason I dropped out an joined the army. :D

Kenn

Seems like a inteligent group on here (for the most part). How many of you have a formal education that somehow relates to the tree service business. I have a BA in economics and philosophy. Most people would think that the economics would help with the business side of things, however I disagree. I don't find that learning theory has taught me jack about running a real business. I believe that what has helped me is learning to research, write, form an argument, speak, etc.

I was removed from highschool got my GED and went into the army. Then I did some college and I plan on finishing some day. I hold my certification very dear to my heart, even though it wasn't all that difficult to get. It is important to me.

online classes

Just a quick plug for online classes. If you are looking for a little knowledge about a particular phase of tree or lawn care (soils, arboriculture, turf management, pathology, dendrology, etc) and do not want to take time off from work to attend, this may be an option. I have been teaching now for 14 years in a technical forestry program and working in the business for 37 years. These classes, taught with the same information as my on-campus classes, are very rewarding since the students are generally already working in the field and can put the information to use immeadiately. My classes also come with a lifetime subscription to my opinions on most anything, although that is not mentioned in the course outline. There are several of my exstudents that put in their two bits on the site occasionally.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in, PM me for more information.

http://www.misu-b.nodak.edu/onlinecampus.htm

Bob Underwood

Coming soon, online diploma program!!!

B.S. Forestry, and B.A. Chemsitry. Sometimes I think I'd have been better off going to trade school and learn something practical where you could start your own business. Could'nt get into Forestry. Tried for 5 yrs. I believe affirmative action had something to do with that. Anyway I'm just a weekend hacker/slacker so I don't count.

The great thing about this thread is that anybody can be anything they want. Who's gonna know any different. Take me for example.

In 1995, I graduated from highschool with high honors. I then went on to the Army where I was trained as an 11 Bravo. (Thats the infantry for all you hippies) Upon completion of boot camp and AIT, I went on to the ranger accademy. Having finished that, I decided to take my chances at NAVY SEAL training. What a joke. Finished the 9 month program in the first weekend. (The first in the history of our millitary)

Having done my time for Uncle Sam, I decided to try my hand at college. There I was, off to college in the great year of our lord, 1998. I attended Paul Smith's College in the beautiful foothills of the Adirondack Mountains in Upstate NY. I enrolled in the Urban Tree Management Program which focuses on horticulture and arboriculture. The classes were easy, climbing was a work-out, but mastering it was, once again, like my whole life, a breaze. I finished the program in less than a year and went on to teach the curriculum for the college. I stayed on for a semester but wanted to move on to bigger and better things.

I left the Adirondacks in the fall of '99 and ended up at Syracuse University where I obtained my masters in forestry. A degree I would later use as a fire starter for a trip up Everest the following year.

While in Nepal, I started a branch of the Peace Corps as I was very bored one saturday afternoon. I believe the current enrollment there is well over 12,000. Quite an occomplishment as that is almost double the Sherpa population in the same area.

I left Nepal to aid Uncle Sam and that bastard child Bush in the war effort about 5 hours West (as the crow flies) in good ole green Iraq. I did allot of raping and pilliging while raiding the small towns of Iraq for insurgent forces. In fact, I was the C.O. of the squad that killed Saddams sons and later went on to capture him. When my tour ended, I headed home to my parents small farm in Upstate NY.

Now that I am home, I spend all my time in this forum, wasting my talents and telling lies on this board.

Hey, at least I didn't quit!!!

After high school, I went into the Navy and went through a machinists training school. Since then I have been to a computer trade school, several week long training sessions, and have about a year left till I get my Bachelors in computer science. Then after that I may take a few horticulture classes at the local community college.

Three years, seventeen weeks 11B1P 1st 325 AIR Ft. Bragg NC we had my first two kids in the service( girls 6&7 now) Now my boy is due in Dec.

Back