Yet another oiling issue - Stihl 260 and 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not actually had to do an install/swap yet, but this gentleman makes that part look fairly straightforward:

Thanks. now just need time to finish trouble shooting , and order new parts if needed and then replace.

1. It is a 026 Not sure of the exact age got at an auction at least 6 years ago. Has ran fine for years no issues with oil before. (always use bar oil. Tractor Supply/County Line)

That saw appears to be a later (post 1995) 026 non-pro.

2. Just call me a freaking idiot. Yes has adjustment on bottom never realized it was there. What is used to adjust it?

This is the updated crankcase it may or may not have the adjustable oiler. The 026 Pro had an adjustable oiler the non-pro did not.

4. Think you hit on it lately been using about 1/2 tank oil to tank of fuel (stihl mix and efree gas).

That is a little light for that setup. It should go through most of a tank of oil per tank of gas. The pump probably has some crud in it that got through the coarse screen in the tank.

Your options now are either to replace the pump or figure out how to disassemble your existing one and clean it out. It looks to be the plastic variety which I have never taken apart. Right now you don't have a lot to loose by trying to take yours apart. If you do post photos of how it is done.

BTW, another good way to burn up a bar is to attempt to cut with a dull or incorrectly sharpened chain. Chainsaws should cut wood like butter. If its not you have a problem.

1. It is a 026 Not sure of the exact age got at an auction at least 6 years ago. Has ran fine for years no issues with oil before. (always use bar oil. Tractor Supply/County Line)

2. Just call me a freaking idiot. Yes has adjustment on bottom never realized it was there. What is used to adjust it?

This is the updated crankcase it may or may not have the adjustable oiler. The 026 Pro had an adjustable oiler the non-pro did not.

4. Think you hit on it lately been using about 1/2 tank oil to tank of fuel (stihl mix and efree gas).

That is a little light for that setup. It should go through most of a tank of oil per tank of gas. The pump probably has some crud in it that got through the coarse screen in the tank.

Your options now are either to replace the pump or figure out how to disassemble your existing one and clean it out. It looks to be the plastic variety which I have never taken apart. Right now you don't have a lot to loose by trying to take yours apart. If you do post photos of how it is done.

BTW, another way to burn up a bar is to attempt to cut with a dull or improperly sharpened chain. Chainsaws should cut wood like butter. If it doesn't you have a problem.

BTW, another way to burn up a bar is to attempt to cut with a dull or improperly sharpened chain. Chainsaws should cut wood like butter. If it doesn't you have a problem.
will do, the one stihl place had the oil hose, it seemed brittle and hope maybe clogged.going to replace it (hoping it is the issue). when i do that will look at the pump see if i can get it apart without breaking.

thank for the advise.

will do, the one stihl place had the oil hose, it seemed brittle and hope maybe clogged.going to replace it (hoping it is the issue). when i do that will look at the pump see if i can get it apart without breaking.

thank for the advise.

Removal of the pump output hose from the pump is MUCH easier if you can heat it up with a hair dryer or temp controlled heat gun on low. You can also replace the output hose with standard (5.7x3.1mm ?) Stihl fuel hose. Just be careful removing the brass insert in the output end of the hose so you don't damage it.

While you are in there it is probably a good idea to replace the pickup hose. The pickup screen can be cleaned and reused.

Well the old brittle tube was not clogged. And while trying to remove the brass screw (which i cant seem to get out) broke the oil pump outlet, also not sure it is meant to be taken apart it has what appears to be a one way pin too. So have on order another non adjust. plastic oil pump. Wonder if I should have just upgraded to an adjustable oil pump.

Stihl non-adj. oil pump.jpg

If you went adjustable there are several other parts needed to complete that switch over$$
Yea think saw an OEM kit on eBay. Pretty pricey. Then and after market one that was cheap. And probably cheaply made. One was $200 plus and others for under $15.00.

Be curious if the cheaper ones work

Well the old brittle tube was not clogged. And while trying to remove the brass screw (which i cant seem to get out) broke the oil pump outlet, also not sure it is meant to be taken apart it has what appears to be a one way pin too. So have on order another non adjust. plastic oil pump. Wonder if I should have just upgraded to an adjustable oil pump.

View attachment 787290

Thanks for figuring out this much! Now you don't have to worry about breaking it! Pin might be pushed out from a hole drilled in the opposite side. Slotted end cap is either there to remove or position the metal pump insert. The slot isn't there for no reason.

Yea think saw an OEM kit on eBay. Pretty pricey. Then and after market one that was cheap. And probably cheaply made. One was $200 plus and others for under $15.00.

Be curious if the cheaper ones work

It would be great if the cheap kit actually would work and last but unfortunately my experiences with saw tends to stay away from the cheap stuff, just too many failures for my kind of saw use.

Well the new non adjustable oil pump came in and I installed it. Started the chainsaw and it took it a moment to start pumping out oil truthfully not sure if any more than the other old one at first. Put bar and chain back on (I did re-sharpen the chain the other day while waiting on new pump). Proceed to cut some large ash logs up (ash trees are a whole other discussion). Seems to be working okay, didn’t cut a whole lot but enough to know it is getting oil. Do have a pile of old locusts post that I can test it on. So wondering now if it was truly bad.

Still debating on getting a adjustable kit or not.

Thanks again for all the advice and comments.

Latest posts

Back