Yet ANOTHER "which top-handled" saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm pretty tired of buying parts for our 200t's, and all my guys seem to treat them like they are cheap. So I'll give them something cheap. A replacement gas tank costs over $100, and the dealer never gets the right one. Damn things cost too much to keep having them disappear.

All you Stihl MS-200t lovers, please keep your opinions to yourself. I already know how well they cut and run.

I am looking into the Echo 360t and the Dolmar 2139(?), which other threads here at AS have indicated are pretty good saws, especially if the mufflers are modified. I have not done any reasearch yet on Husqvarna saws. Shindaiwa is out, I know all about their 357.

Does anybody have any specific advice about these or any other non-Stihl top handled saws?

Last edited:
Had a guy climbing for me for a little while last year with a modded 360T. Seemed to cut pretty well (although I didn't use it). It was loud as hell with the muffler mod though.

Can't say I blame you, if I was outfitting another climber I would probably go a different route as well. I have a spare 192T if I have a climber who needs a saw. No one touches my 200.

All you Stihl MS-200t lovers, please keep your opinions to yourself. I already know how well they cut and run.

Ok :)

I am looking into the Echo 360t and the Dolmar 2139(?), which other threads here at AS have indicated are pretty good saws, especially if the mufflers are modified. I have not done any reasearch yet on Husqvarna saws. Shindaiwa is out, I know all about their 357.

I have a 330T, and have run a 360T from a friend who lives a couple of hours away. They seem to work well, but not sure about the longevity, he has had for less than a year so he would not be much help either. While the 330T of mine does not run every day, it is a good little saw in the trees. I have had for better part of a year, likley has a couple of hundred hours on it and runs fine. I will be taking it with me this weekend and next weekend doing some charity work.

Support would be important, so ensure you have a good local dealer. They certainally are much more cost effective than some other top handled saws.

tree saw

I run a solo 637 which cuts great 40cc engine 8 lbs---now the draw backs---no dealers here in AR, the air filter stops up fast, no good place to hook a sling---but it was only $325 and has more than paid for it self...
I like this saw but I'm going back to stihl because of parts and service in this area..

pdqdl- This is a case of operator abuse. Your climbers have some responsibility for the damage. Let them share (or pay all of) the cost of the "cheap" parts for those cheap 200t's. Maybe then they'll appreciate the value of those saws and adjust their behavior. I have a 338xp Cali that's a pretty snappy little saw. The thing is, it needs carb adjustments quite often. But it does outcut the 192t.

I have a 200T that sees very little action, I still prefer to climb with a ported 346XP. You can put a 3/8 sprocket and run LP chain like on the top-handles, this speeds up the chore of sharpening. A titanium bar lightens it up even further.

The thing that kills me on the 200T is how little cutting gets done on a tank of gas. Also, it's so blocky in design it just gets hung up unless it's hanging right on the hip. It's light, I'll give it that and begs to be used one-handed, reminding me of the wrist tendonitis that top-handles induced many years ago.

pdqdl- This is a case of operator abuse. Your climbers have some responsibility for the damage. Let them share (or pay all of) the cost of the "cheap" parts for those cheap 200t's. Maybe then they'll appreciate the value of those saws and adjust their behavior. I have a 338xp Cali that's a pretty snappy little saw. The thing is, it needs carb adjustments quite often. But it does outcut the 192t.

Operator abuse? No doubt.

It is impossible to teach people to take care of equipment, when they can't even run their lives. The climbers & groundmen I get to choose from require behavior modification from the get-go, in addition to having to teach them how to do the job safely, much less profitably. I am just about ready to give up on tree work, due to the lack of adequate help.

I can at least find idiots capable of mowing grass, and it doesn't ruin a days production when they hit the mower blades into the dirt.

You can go with a Dolmar ps3410th, this is an amazing saw as well, not a high powered as the 200t, but better then the Husky.Still cuts through some big hard woods! I've had mine for 2 years now, it's going to be my new climbers saw as I am getting a deal on a 200t. I got mine for $329.00 us at ammicks. Has been a real work horse, not 1 single problem with it!:greenchainsaw:
Or like Squad 143 said, make them get their own!

If your workers are killing the MS200, the others won't last any longer.

Have your climbers supply their own saws.

Problem solved.:)

It works if ya do it right.

Hand them a new 200t and tell 'em it's company property untill they pay it off, and they will be buying it from you at cost+discount, for 50 bucks a week unless they chip in more...and no you will not replace it or pay for repairs, but there will be a back up saw available for use.

Keep a really cranky wildthingy in the rig as a "Back up saw" LOL!!

Thier breakage issues will suddenly fade.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm a big fan of owning your own saw. There are many trades wherein the workers have to provide and care for their own tools. Some of which make a chainsaw look cheap.

Seriously, get a couple backup echos and charge rent on them when worker owned saws go down. If they break it, the buy or fix it.

there is a reason why I send each climber out with two 200t's and one 192t. I havent had more than 1 broke in a day, but just in case.

i know what you mean by saws getting broke, but that is all part of the business. I have a certified stihl tech that comes to the shop one day a week to perform all maintenance and repairs on all the stihl equipment. I pay him an average of $600 a month, plus the parts. In repairs of stihls Im averaging atleast a grand. If there is a cheaper way Id be all ears, but sadly this is the cost of doing business and this cost should be passed onto your customers.

Do you really think they wont break another brand of saw? How much would you really save? Saw repairs are tax write-offs

Solo 633/637 FTW. I love my 633, it runs awesome and screams through the wood, it's also a very well designed climbing saw. I gotta fix the kill switch, choking it to kill it is a PITA. Only drawback to the Solos is the lack of dealer support and finding parts.

Latest posts

Back