Yew Log milling - Poisonous?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mktjqk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have access to 2 Yew logs. I counted the growth rings at 120 on one of the logs. I know the foliage is poisonous to humans, but should I be concerned about the sawdust? I usually wear a small filter mask when milling and am considering getting a nicer full face mask for these logs.

I'll post picks of the milling if I do it.

Thanks,
Jeff

From the toxicity table:
"Yew "Direct toxin, irritant, nausea, malaise, nasopharyngeal cancer" "Skin, eyes, cardiac, respiratory, dermatitis, systemic effects e.g. headache, blood pressure drop, cardiac effects" "++,++++" "Dust, wood" Common"

Simple answer, only cut these logs if my ex-wife is standing near the sawdust exhaust!

I'd wear the mask, and hope for cool weather.

Scott B

From the toxicity table:
"Yew "Direct toxin, irritant, nausea, malaise, nasopharyngeal cancer" "Skin, eyes, cardiac, respiratory, dermatitis, systemic effects e.g. headache, blood pressure drop, cardiac effects" "++,++++" "Dust, wood" Common"

Simple answer, only cut these logs if my ex-wife is standing near the sawdust exhaust!

I'd wear the mask, and hope for cool weather.

Scott B

By the sounds of that maybe a HAZMAT suit is what you need

If the logs are straight and no limbs, check about splitting them into 4" staves for bows. There are several websites for traditional bow making. Yew, osage, hickory are some of the favorites.

Stickbow.com tradgang.com are a couple sites

Latest posts

Back