Your advice svp....What tree to recommend.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
Got the tee shirt, ball cap and drive a truck with the company name on the side, however that does not mean I am an arborist!
So I try to let common sense enter into my discussions with the public, which includes in this case my neighbours across the street. Their front yard, about 20 ft wide is shared with the neighbouring row house. 12 years ago, I am sure both a nursery sized linden and a crab apple tree looked just fine, but both are now too large for the available space. Debbie wants the crab removed(and I said I would assist-a really easy removal), but is adament about replacing it with another tree. I suggested she speak to her neighbour and get both removed at once. Anyhow I suspect this will not happen...can anyone make a suggestion as to what kind of a tree would like to be moderately shaded, grow next to a much larger tree, and not grow too tall, thus interfering with the linden, which really needs at the least a major pruning, and like I said needs to go. This yard gets morning sun only as it faces east. Climate is similar to upstate NY.

Pagoda dogwood would do well, Cornus alternifolia. It is hardy and a natural understory plant with nice withe flowers. It is rather disease resistant too. Maxes out at 25 feet, but this is real old.

Don't think any other tree dogwood would do up in CN.

Any thornless hawthorn, but if there is any native juniper in the area then rust is a big problem.

Mountain ash, Sorbus aucuparia, has a few cvs. I think there one that is shorter and spreading. I understand it does well up north (zone 3), here seems to be the southern limit of it's range. The Korean sorbus (alnifolia) is a zone 4.

Serviceberry, Amelanchier canadensis, is another zone 3, 25 feet max, likes water ok in half shade. You may like the specific epithet.

C.florida is not hardy up here. C. alternifolia does not get the anthacnose problems florida gets. All I've ever seen are a few leaf blemishes, never had them assayed to find the pathogen since it is not even aesthetic level.

Back