Your Coolest Idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jags

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sorry folks but I need my wood splittin' fix and its too darned hot outside to do it. So... I'm gonna talk about it.

What is the coolest thing you do or have made for wood splitting, or stacking, or burning, or splitting or anything else that can be applied to wood. I know there are a lot of smart people on this site that have probably come up with some wizz bang ideas on how to do things easier or smarter. Please share. Who knows, maybe that one thing you do different can really help someone else. I will start with a couple of basics, these are not very good examples, but I'm probably not as smart as most of you guys.

1. Electric start on the log splitter - the battery lasts longer than my arm.
2. Log lifter for the splitter - a winch can lift more than I can, and probably doesn't get as sore.
3. Buying a trailer with a fold down ramp. Can roll even BIG ones up the ramp.
4. Got me a high quality saw (MS361) - oh boy, what a difference.

Lets hear it folks. Share your smarts.:clap:
This can also include processes. Like how you DO something.

Have kids and let them do the grunt work. Hey, I learned a few things from dear old dad!

3. Buying a trailer with a fold down ramp. Can roll even BIG ones up the ramp.

mount a boat winch on the trailer on the front neck. a 1000 lb winch can do alot of tricks for you and save your back. i used a hand crank type and it's bailed me out quite a few times.

My dad always told me never to completely wear myself out pulling on a starter rope...save just enough strength to throw/push whatever you're trying to start into the nearest ditch.

:laugh: ...that's funny...you deserve rep...

Kevin

What's that funny noise?

If you can cut it with a saw, skid it with your truck, split it with your splitter, and then burn it 6 months later. What do you want to do to save even more labor? Firewood is just so easy anyway.....:hmm3grin2orange:

-pat

I'm going to test out my cooest idea here within the next week. The metal guy called me and told me my wedge was ready. I was going to post about it once I saw it work but I will tell you now. I bought a skid steer this spring. The same day I got it I was at an auction and they were selling a Hydraulic breaker. So I had a buddy of mine who does specility metal working take the breaker point and weld a big wedge on it. This thing is reinforced all to hell. The plan is to use the skid steer breaker to break the big one I can't lift. The I can split them with the super splitter. I assume that a hydraulic rock breaker would split the hell out of some wood. More so with the downward pressure of the skid steer. We'll see how it goes. I'll have pics and maybe a short video pretty soon.

Scott

Skid breaker

I'm going to test out my cooest idea here within the next week. The metal guy called me and told me my wedge was ready. I was going to post about it once I saw it work but I will tell you now. I bought a skid steer this spring. The same day I got it I was at an auction and they were selling a Hydraulic breaker. So I had a buddy of mine who does specility metal working take the breaker point and weld a big wedge on it. This thing is reinforced all to hell. The plan is to use the skid steer breaker to break the big one I can't lift. The I can split them with the super splitter. I assume that a hydraulic rock breaker would split the hell out of some wood. More so with the downward pressure of the skid steer. We'll see how it goes. I'll have pics and maybe a short video pretty soon.

Scott

Holy Moly!! seen what these do to concrete, you might be making kindlin!!! :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :rock:

Scott

I made a fence post driver out of an old breaker once. You had to be carefull or the post would go out of sight. I bet with a 6 or 8 way wedge you could split a lot of wood with that thing.

Andy

Smartest thing I have done is build a splitter from scraps instead of shelling out the big bucks. Also made it so the pump runs from my tractor PTO shaft. 2 reasons, had tractor and no lawn mower motor but mostly so people cant borrow the darned thing. most guys I know that burn wood and own a tractor already have a splitter.

Breaker/splitter

This is a COOL idea! I would really like to see some follow up pics/details on this one. Ive used breakers before also and they shoud do some serious splitting work! the 6-8 way wedge is also a good idea!! should have plenty of force to push one of those thru!! SEND PICS!!

I used to "chimney stack" the ends of my ricks to hold them up. got tired of that so sank some RR ties and put a cross bar on top. Use scrap 2X stock leaned agains the cross bar to hold up the rick ends now. Picture doesn't show too well as my stock has outgrown the original.

020_5.jpg

You can see them at the far end of the pile agains the woodshed.

Every year I move 3 cord into the 3 season porch for the heating season. Also got tired of having to stack carefully to hold up the ends of those rics so I built some "bookends", Just a 4' length of 1x4 with a 6' tall piece vertical at 1' from one end, diagonal brace to hold it. The pic below shows one at the near end of the rick (more RR tie rack back next to the garage)

MVC-613F.jpg

Harry K

Heating Water

My best idea was to gather branches and sticks and burn them in an outdoor woodstove during the summer to heat water. By doing so I have cut down my propane useage by 1/2.

I am now constructing a rock outdoor bread/pizza baking oven for summer use that will be wood fired.

12 lb mall

Scott

You might be supprised how weak the 6000 lb beast is, compaired to the 12 lb malll, Keep us posted, E, J,

I am now constructing a rock outdoor bread/pizza baking oven for summer use that will be wood fired.

Would REALLY like to see pics of that project!

My best idea was building my woodshed 10 years ago and saying goodby to tarps.

Old procedure: Go to woodpile, clean off snow, remove boards holding down tarp, remove tarp, get wood, replace tarp, replace boards.

New procedure: Flip on light in shed, get wood, come back inside.

Latest posts

Back