Your thoughts on 051 vs P100 for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Wellman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am running at Partner P100 with a 36" bar and 8 bit rim on a mill. I have a 051 and an first gen 066 that I could use. Both the Partner and 051 stihl have new piston and rings. I know these saws have poorly located oil and mix filling locations. What saw would cut the best and should I go back to a 7 bit rim? Thanks and advance.

When I milled with my 051 and a 42" bar I always ran a 7 pin rim sprocket. I also dropped the rakers down to .035". By going to a 8 pin for a 7 you gain speed but loose torque and with a longer bar I didn't want to loose the torque.

Since I converted one of my 051's to a 075 it dosent matter so much which sprocket I run unless it is compleately buried in some really tough wood then I want all the torque that 111cc's can pump out.

I have no experiance with a p100

Torque and bigger is better.

When I milled with my 051 and a 42" bar I always ran a 7 pin rim sprocket. I also dropped the rakers down to .035". By going to a 8 pin for a 7 you gain speed but loose torque and with a longer bar I didn't want to loose the torque.

Since I converted one of my 051's to a 075 it dosent matter so much which sprocket I run unless it is compleately buried in some really tough wood then I want all the torque that 111cc's can pump out.

I have no experiance with a p100

Upon your experience I am going back to a 7 pin rim, and the larger CC will matter. Was the 075 jug hard to find? and will the 051 keep up?

andy

Upon your experience I am going back to a 7 pin rim, and the larger CC will matter. Was the 075 jug hard to find? and will the 051 keep up?

andy

075/076 was still in production as the 760 cutoff saw up until a couple years back, so most parts are still readily available from the dealer, and in my experience many are even in-stock on the shelf.

andy

On 18" and under logs the 051 will keep up just fine. On anything biger and you start to notice the difference. That said I milled for over 10 years using my 051 and did quite a few 36" logs.

The 051/075 swap isn't quite a simple bolt on conversion. The 051 uses 5mm bolts to secure the jug and the 075 uses 6mm studs. The studs and nuts are still available from the dealer and it is pretty simple to re-tap the holes by hand.

Not to confuse you too much but there is an early and late version of the 051. the early version has two small notches in the top of the case where the jug bolts on. These notches are inline front and rear of the connecting rod and even though it dosent need them for clearance it looks like thats what they are for. The late version lacks these notches. I have a feeling that the jug of a early 075 will fit an early 051 but I know for certian that the jug off a ts760 will not fit an early 051.

When converting a late 051 using a ts760 jug you will also need a muffler and phenolic intake block off a 076. The parts off a ts760 will work also but the muffler on a ts760 lacks a spark arrester.

I own an early 051 and a late 051. For my conversion I used the late model 051 and a NOS jug off a ts760. I picked up a trashed ts760 on ebay for the muffler and intake block. all told The swap cast me about $250 with all the shipping and gaskets and studs from the dealer. Was it worth it? well The saw I converted was pretty minty 051 I paid $300 for and now I have a minty 075 with fresh P&C for $550. a fair price but not a screaming deal.

Beware of buying any ts760 used parts. A lot of those saws were thrashed and end up full of concrete dust.

The 051/075/076/ts760 all use the same carb. There are some different letter suffexes on the Tillotson HS series but the will all work just fine.

I almost forgot, burried in that $250 cost was the cost of a decompression valve. neither of my 051's had one and while they would kick me once in a while I never really needed one. With the extra 22cc and as-new-compression you need the dcomp valve!

075/076 was still in production as the 760 cutoff saw up until a couple years back, so most parts are still readily available from the dealer, and in my experience many are even in-stock on the shelf.

Not sure if they are stil being made but a few years ago I know the 051 and 075 were still being made and sold in brazil, along with the 090.

The 076 is still sold in Mexico:
Motosierras y podadoras de altura | STIHL

Also Partner P100 engine parts are still available, since the K1200 cut off saw has the same engine and was made until a few years ago. But the Stihl parts are easier to get and the 076 is kind of made for milling, also the exhaust that blos down and not to the log.
The P100 is better for felling than the 076; lighter and more Handy, more speed...the 076 has torque.
I've got a 051/075/076 self made 111 cc Stihl 1111 series saw and a Partner R440T, the predecessor of the P100 :msp_biggrin:
Max

Back