"You're like the farmers"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Was delivering wood today to a neighbor of mine; it was well over 80 as we are having a 2 day heat wave, and I said to her "not many people thinking about firewood right now-most think about fishing, camping, doing outside activities-but in the Fall you'll remember this conversation that we had on May 1st" and she said "you're planning ahead, like the farmers". I took that as a nice compliment, as I appreciate the farmers and how damn hard they work. And I got to thinking "it's mostly just us die-hard firewood guys like on here that are thinking about firewood today" which is another compliment because we all know what goes into it.

Just felt like sharing that; not quite sure why but I know you guys "get it"! :greenchainsaw:

Was delivering wood today to a neighbor of mine; it was well over 80 as we are having a 2 day heat wave, and I said to her "not many people thinking about firewood right now-most think about fishing, camping, doing outside activities-but in the Fall you'll remember this conversation that we had on May 1st" and she said "you're planning ahead, like the farmers". I took that as a nice compliment, as I appreciate the farmers and how damn hard they work. And I got to thinking "it's mostly just us die-hard firewood guys like on here that are thinking about firewood today" which is another compliment because we all know what goes into it.

Just felt like sharing that; not quite sure why but I know you guys "get it"! :greenchainsaw:

+1!

I grew up summers on my Gparents' Wisconsin dairy farm. Great times, hard times, hard work.

I've got 2 cord of seasoned maple yet to toss down the basement and stack with the 2 cord already there, so I can start splitting the 7 cord of ash and birch I have cut into rounds and laying out in the sun.

Our heating season is essentially over almost a month early because of the unusually warm April, so it's nice to have more wood already than I'll need next winter, even if the winter is a cold one.

Still, a feller's gotta think ahead. Now if I could only get my hands on some oak for the truly cold days and banking the fire at night. Oak is as scarce up here as hens' teeth. :)

All the corn is planted and it's a little to wet to plant beans so I took down an Elm today at a friends house. Got it down, bucked and hauled home. Would like to split and stack it tomorrow but I need to get in the dozer and fix a waterway.

I havent had time to cut wood this past week, because I have been putting 16-18 hours a day planting.

Right now winter is the farthest thing from my mind this time of year.

All the corn is planted and it's a little to wet to plant beans so I took down an Elm today at a friends house. Got it down, bucked and hauled home. Would like to split and stack it tomorrow but I need to get in the dozer and fix a waterway.

Better hold onto that Dozer. You may need it to split the elm!

More like a farmer than you might think- planning ahead and tough dirty work; but a while back I delivered a cord to an old guy and mentioned making around $3/hour doing firewood- he said "yeah, just like the farmers".;)

More like a farmer than you might think- planning ahead and tough dirty work; but a while back I delivered a cord to an old guy and mentioned making around $3/hour doing firewood- he said "yeah, just like the farmers".;)

If you ever want a Million Dollars from farming...you have to start with Two Million!

I am the cattle guy of our operation (I don't own it, just work here).

They were planting three weeks ago, until it started raining. We have 5K acres to plant, about 1/3 done. Won't be able to plant for a while, cause it is STILL raining... :censored:

I went out looking for morels saturday afternoon, between feedings. Din't find ANY morels, but saw alot of dead trees that need cut and split. :chainsaw:

Neither job is glorious or pays big money. I like both though. :)

We will start cutting hay next week if the weather holds. For us it's nice to have a break from cutting wood most of the fall and all winter. We turned down a big contract on firewood that a fellow AS member turned us on to, and I'm actually happy. The profit wasn't what it needed to be after hauling sixty miles and it would have been a pain to try to chase down 400 cord of seasoned hardwood, in addition to what we already sell. It would prolly have over loaded our azzes for the size of operation we are.

We turned down a big contract on firewood that a fellow AS member turned us on to, and I'm actually happy. The profit wasn't what it needed to be after hauling sixty miles and it would have been a pain to try to chase down 400 cord of seasoned hardwood, in addition to what we already sell. It would prolly have over loaded our azzes for the size of operation we are.

It's a wise man who understands and embraces his limitation. :cheers:

I'm pretty well done with cutting firewood right now, but am waiting for loggers to show up at my friend's place, going to buy 2 tri-axle loads...

More importantly, starting on the '81 GMC p-up, grafting the Western pwer angle blade to it from my '66 Jeep. Need new lift ram for the blade, GMC needs a new fuel tank, starter, tires, carb is off getting rebuilt,didn't want to wait till Sept. to start on it, will be ready for snow by October!

Back