WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TIE IN TWICE WHILE CLIMBING?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hate to be your insurer,,you must live in the boondocks,,
I thought this forum room was for pro's.
Jeff :crazy:
Not to be smart,
but I thought this was a place for people to ask an honest question and get sound advice.

Not everyone started out climbing trees: some started climbing poles for Co Ops and moved into this field after OJT, and education from various legitimate arborist seminars.

Lineman climb different.

Heck, Co Op lineman have been taught up until the past maybe 3-4 years, that climbing a pole with the flip line attached to the pole is for women and kids: lineman leave their flip lime over their shoulder till they get to where they are going, and only tie in to free up their hands.

Hitch hiking is for folks that wear panties, they say.

It's something that is finally being faded out, but lets not be critical of someone trying to learn a safer way to do something; they may have been taught differently than you.

I genuinely want to learn how y'all do it safely, and I'm sure that was the OP's reason for asking the question in the first place.

Not to be smart,
but I thought this was a place for people to ask an honest question and get sound advice.

Not everyone started out climbing trees: some started climbing poles for Co Ops and moved into this field after OJT, and education from various legitimate arborist seminars.

Lineman climb different.

Heck, Co Op lineman have been taught up until the past maybe 3-4 years, that climbing a pole with the flip line attached to the pole is for women and kids: lineman leave their flip lime over their shoulder till they get to where they are going, and only tie in to free up their hands.

Hitch hiking is for folks that wear panties, they say.

It's something that is finally being faded out, but lets not be critical of someone trying to learn a safer way to do something; they may have been taught differently than you.

I genuinely want to learn how y'all do it safely, and I'm sure that was the OP's reason for asking the question in the first place.
You'll get all the advice and help you need in 101.

I have been climbing for about 7 years now ,but I have only used my flip line with no second point of attachment. Dangerous and stupid I know but realizing my luck will only last so long I would like to find out the best way to tie in twice or TITS as I have seen on these forums. I have a Buckingham ergovation saddle with two floating D rings in the middle. Do they sell anything that is premade for safety and positioning purposes(for second point of attachment)? I would like a second vertical line to position on limbs above me when working in the tree. I was thinking of making a 20 ft line with a biner on one end that would go over branch above me and back down to my left d ring and on the right d ring a biner with a prusik for adjusting. any descriptions in laymans terms would be helpful. Thanks

How about using a friction saver attached any where you want?
Sorry if I pissed you off.
Jeff :cheers:

Think about it, what if you needed to bail out of there real quick?
You gonna be flipping and grabbing and hugging?
You need a life line. Tie into it, your second point is your flip line,
What if you needed to be rescued?
Just think ahead,

btw, this was moved from the commercial forum right?
Jeff

I honestly didnt , this was originally posted in 101.

I usually always have my bull rope with me along with block and 3/4 abr ultra block sling which is one of the first things I install in the tree. In which case (even though it is highly frowned upon) I can use this as an escape line if need be since I always have a biner on the end(again I know this isnt right). In addition to my flip line (wire core ) , I also use a separate wirecore flip line with rope grab and choke itself around the tree while working in case I gaff out.

I realize this is not the most productive ,versitle, and safest method, but that was the reason for this post. I want to invest in a life line and do it right. Also know there is several different systems to rig lifeline to harness and wanted advice on what the guys liked the most.
Adding a life line will seem more cumbersome and time consuming (adjusting flip line and life line during accent) , but I know its the most important!! Thanks for any advice, cheers

How do you remove trees with only spikes and a flipline? I can't image how inefficient, dangerous, limiting and restricting that is. Not to mention how bad it must suck.

"Yeah, i'll just spike out to the tip of that limb"?

Easy does it there captain obvious! I just stated those same words just above you.
And if you are referring to limb walking, we rarely have to do that where im at.

Cant a guy ask for some sound advice , without being ridiculed!!?

I was making a general statement. You are not the only one out there with these old school tactics captain defensive.

Easy does it there captain obvious! I just stated those same words just above you.
And if you are referring to limb walking, we rarely have to do that where im at.

Cant a guy ask for some sound advice , without being ridiculed!!?
Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're ridiculing you.

I think you got sound advice. Some of which you didn't even want to hear. I have a genuine interest in how it goes down without a tie in. I know some trees are possible with just a lanyard but how are all? I wasn't being rude. I wanted to know.

I think you got sound advice. Some of which you didn't even want to hear. I have a genuine interest in how it goes down without a tie in. I know some trees are possible with just a lanyard but how are all? I wasn't being rude. I wanted to know.
Did you read this? And even in a single spar you should have a bail out line. But for work purposes, yes just a flipline.

When Im on a spar, or spiking up a pine or spruce removal, I have a bail out tie in point. It is jus a climbing line tied around the spar with a running bowline. I attach to the bail out line with a munter hitch on an HMS biner, An 8 will work but I like to keep it simple. As I advance up the tree cutting branches off I advance the running bowline up as I go. I try to keep my bail out line no more than a foot below from my work positioning lanyard. If for some reason I happen to cut through my lanyard I would have the Munter to catch me. (I have a steel core but rarely use it) Once I blow out the top or rig it down I can either start bombing chunks, or if I have enough room I can rap down the spar on my bail out line. Now that Im on the ground I have a rope tied to the top of the spar and I use it to pull the spar where ever I want it. Or I can leave tall stump and come back later and carve a bear out of it. Nice safe and simple.

Or if there is a close and handy tree nearby I will set a climb line in that with a throw line and get to work. Always, always, always have a secondary tie in point. Even while out on a limb limb walking I will LOOSELY tie in with my work positioning lanyard. Not using a secondary tie in point is like sky diving without a reserve parachute.

Back