Craigslist Clown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me, my nephew and my brother in-law were going at a cord of wood a hours with a huskee 27t. Even had one of my nephews friends stacking. Red oak splits easy so its not like we were going full stroke though. Gave the nephews friend a bed load of ugly's for payment for his labor, kid was happy as h3ll and when we unloaded it at his pops place his pops was even happier that his boy put in some hard work and earned something that was gonna help the household. We were working at a pretty good clip too.

You guys are machines to get multiple cords an hour!
I have a nearlyv $40,000 processor and I get about a cord an hour out of it.
I think you got ripped. We do 3/4-1 cord an hour with 4" to 16" logs on a $13000 processor that we modified with hydraulic saw and clamp

Dyna Products SC12XP Firewood Processor:

I dont really care what folks do on craigslist. And i dont really know how much wood a wood chuck can chuck. The most wood i have split in a day has been about 8 cords with my hydraulic splitter. I had two guys helping so that works out to just under three cords per man. The fastest cord i ever split was one cord in 15 minutes, with 5 guys. I have found my spliter isnt the bottle neck, its my old bones and back that lets me down.

Last year 3 of us did a cord in about an hour. My processor didn't speed things up a bit but now 2 guys can split 4 cord in 4-6 hours without ever breaking a sweat. Money well spent.

Take big wood and a fast saw to get 4 an hour. We ran consistent 16" diameter stuff last weekend cutting it 20" long for an OWB and still took 45 minutes. I upgraded my processor to a 14/8 gpm pump to speed up the splitter plus give me an 8gpm pump to run the conveyor and cylinder for the saw and clamp. Still needs some tweaking though. Need to change my priority valve and add a dedicated return line for the conveyor

I didn't make that post to start a "penis length contest". It was a compliment to the guys busting some serious hump getting wood processed.

Wasn't my intention to start a pissing contest. Just pointing out that at 1/3 the cost you can do the same amount of wood and that with 2-3 guys willing to work you can do that exact same wood with a $1000 splitter. I would be asking what your hold up is on your processor. $40k you should be able to do 2 cord an hour with decent wood.
The modifications we made to mine didn't really speed it up. Just upped the capacity from 14" to 18" and made it easier to run for extended time periods. Actually if we run 6" and smaller wood it is slower than when new with manual controls.

.... go F yourself!
I love it when people say this. My response: If I could do that I'd have never gotten married. :D

CL is rife with misinformation, drama, stupidity and just plain lies. I've unloaded some stuff on CL over the years but won't go there looking to buy. It's not worth the time and effort.

I love splitting wood for my OWB compared to the wood I sell. It's easy to do a cord by myself in 45 minutes with the 22" lengths and 8'-12" splits. Wish I could sell wood that size.

Fred, I think you are one of the few people in here who actually get it. It's the manner in which this guy tried defending himself that caught me most off guard. I am all for people trying to make a living or some extra money on the side busting their butts. But when questioned on certain claims of their capabilities, at least be able to defend your stance like a decent human being. The fact he went right to "go F yourself", says an awful lot about the man's character. I process a lot of wood each year and only with a little help splitting from local teens and I would have gladly paid him the day's rate he was asking if he could indeed do what he claimed.

Advertised speeds of processors is like buying diet pills. You can lose weight by taking this little pill, as long as you do 3 hrs of exercise every morning, and dont eat donuts for breakfast. I believe that processor manufacturers publish rates of 4 cords per hr based on a number of things. Every stick of wood has to be the maximum dia and lenght and easy split in order to get those numbers. I did a little math on my proposed processor build considering those maximums. Using 2-4.5 in cylinder and 60gpm @3000psi of oil, and splitting max dia and lenght of 27in x 30 in wood, my splitter should be able to split a cord every 112 sec. or 32 cords per hr. The hydraulic saw would need to be able to cut those rounds every 7 sec in order to even come close. And somewhere i would need to find time to load the processor, advance the log, and theres bound to be other things to slow me down. Now thats humping it I dont care who you are. Knowing that every stick of wood I cut isnt going to be 27in dia or 30 in long, I know I wont be processing 32 cords per hr, but also know I wont get as tired pulling leavers as I would rolling rounds on a splitter, so I can work longer between breaks. Even tho I wont be getting big numbers of cords split per hr, I should still be able to get good numbers of cords per day, and not be sore and worn out doing so. Now just in case my processor does happen to produce 32 cords per hr, I will be taking bids so everybody head to the bank and get a credit check and prepare for the bidding war.

Product Specifications for the SC-12 XP Firewood Processor
Log Diameter 12" (15" Max)
Log Length 10'
Harvester Bar 18" L
Splitter Type 2 and 4 Way (Optional 6 Way)
Splitter Cylinder 4" x 24"
Splitter Cycle 10 Seconds
Power 20HP Honda Electric Start
Cords Per Hour 1-1.5
Saw Chain 0.404
Log Loader New! Comes Standard
Upgrades Included 20HP Honda, High Flow Pump, More Powerful Saw Motor, More Production!

they are very optimistic on the 1-1.5 cords per hour especially considering that stock it will only do about 14" wood that is perfect. with the way we modified mine we can fit 18" perfectly straight logs but have to fight them a bit or 16" perfect logs and it runs pretty smooth.
Considering what Valley is getting out of his $40k processor i am pretty happy with what mine does. If you have a chance check out a Brute Force processor. talked to the owner at the Paul Bunyan show this year and watched it run for an hour or better. he has alot of good ideas on his that i hadnt seen anywhere else.
Cutting those rounds fast is your biggest hurdle.

Product Specifications for the SC-12 XP Firewood Processor
Log Diameter 12" (15" Max)
Log Length 10'
Harvester Bar 18" L
Splitter Type 2 and 4 Way (Optional 6 Way)
Splitter Cylinder 4" x 24"
Splitter Cycle 10 Seconds
Power 20HP Honda Electric Start
Cords Per Hour 1-1.5
Saw Chain 0.404
Log Loader New! Comes Standard
Upgrades Included 20HP Honda, High Flow Pump, More Powerful Saw Motor, More Production!

they are very optimistic on the 1-1.5 cords per hour especially considering that stock it will only do about 14" wood that is perfect. with the way we modified mine we can fit 18" perfectly straight logs but have to fight them a bit or 16" perfect logs and it runs pretty smooth.
Considering what Valley is getting out of his $40k processor i am pretty happy with what mine does. If you have a chance check out a Brute Force processor. talked to the owner at the Paul Bunyan show this year and watched it run for an hour or better. he has alot of good ideas on his that i hadnt seen anywhere else.
Cutting those rounds fast is your biggest hurdle.
If you have to cut the rounds too that definitely slows down the production. When I stated my production earlier in the thread that was considering three guys turning a pile of rounds into a pile of splits in a truck.

If someone can turn logs to firewood at a clip of a cord an hour, they are doing well.

1 hr from a pile of rounds to a cord of wood stacked in the bed of the pickup when it was 3 of us. since getting the processor we no longer stack anything. conveyor drops it right in the bed of the dump truck or in a pile that we scoop up later with a skeleton grapple bucket on my tractor.

1 hr from a pile of rounds to a cord of wood stacked in the bed of the pickup when it was 3 of us. since getting the processor we no longer stack anything. conveyor drops it right in the bed of the dump truck or in a pile that we scoop up later with a skeleton grapple bucket on my tractor.
Good work ,that is about as fast as it can be done 1 hour 3 guys 1 guy 3 hours stacked.

It was work!!! we sold 30-40 cords that way last year and lost one of the guys that was involved so we went to a processor to avoid killing ourselves this year. I just found out a couple weeks ago what a cord of wood weighs and am pretty glad we arent hauling it in my truck anymore. I knew it was a little top heavy...sideboards were 6" above the cab to fit a cord...but we weighed one of our loads on the dump truck a few weeks ago...3200 pounds

Back