Picked up a husqvarna 61 today (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I put in the new kill sw. It's a little different than the one that was on there. I'll have to drill and tap a screw in for the ground. The old one had a pressure clip that grounded it.
Anyways I popped it in and plugged the coil wire onto it and the popcorn sound is gone. It runs like a top now. I can't believe how much more torque it has compared to my muffler modded 55. Even with 3/8 chain compared to the .325 on my 55 it just rips through the wood. I am really impressed.
It runs so well I may have to find some newer plastics for it. It just may be my new go to saw!

Decided to try noodling today and wasn't sure what angle is best. So I ground a full chisel rocked chain to 10deg and sharpened up another at 25deg top plate both with 55deg bevel. Here are the two videos, 10deg first.

Felt to me like the 10deg cut smoother. I need to play with it some more. Unfortunately I set the saw down and it slid down and broke the handle.
66d3247ad62bf108aec9e1a28ba8bf06.jpg

I'll try plastic jb weld but I'll probably need a new tank handle.
If anyone has one let me know. Thanks.

It did great in pine and maple, in oak it was slow.... Is that normal or should I be using my 181???

I have the 65's and I love those saws.. a pit of port work and they rip pretty good.. I have 24" bars with 3/8th chisel chain on all 3.

I'd look for a new fuel line with the age that thing has.. some are hard to come by, and they'll start to collapse. All 3 of my saws have the original carb diaphragms and they're all doing well with them still after 37 years.

That's pretty awesome! Well built saws! I'm hoping to move on to some porting later this year. I am really impressed so far. A little disappointed in myself for allowing it to drop like it did.... I should know better...

Saw one yesterday, at my local Stihl shop. And old man was brought it in to see if it was worth repairing. Apparently he bought it for cheap, but it wouldn't run. I was pretty tempted to make the old guy an offer on it since it didn't run, but I didn't feel right screwing the shop out of work.

So I picked up some epoxy from harbor freight and glued her up good.
45d3fe3bbad04baec17d627183403fa7.jpg
b35e6f320ac5070b3eeef5a25da58754.jpg
2b883e7dd583f5eaaba887427a5cbae8.jpg

We will see what happens. If it holds up I'll clean it up a bit...

I intend to do just that. But I'm kinda impatient and need to get back to cutting. I looked at my 55 and I just really liked the way this saw ran. Plus I got some more big ones to noodle. Maybe I should run the 55 again for a bit.....

My 61 is one of my nfs saws (not for sale) I put new isolators on it also tore it down cleaned it rebuilt carb new fuel lines and ign switch. I'd kit the carb and put a new fuel line and filter on it. Cost you $25 and an hour of your time. Super easy saw to mechanic on. Great runners too. I'd take a 61 over 460 any dayimage.jpgimage.jpg

That's nice and clean compared to mine!
Really a 61 over a 460?
460 is quite a bit larger.
Why do you feel this way????!

Latest posts

Back