Picked up a husqvarna 61 today (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally got to cut with this saw! I cut about 2 cord, it runs strong. Idles great, quick response, and good torque. But while in the cut I here a occasional "put" , "put put put". Very quiet and almost indiscernible, but definitely there. I've never heard anything like it using a saw before. Almost seems a bit rich, but it's four stoking good and clearing up in the cut.
Any ideas?

I am no major mechanic but I would just run it some more with high octane gas, shoot I would be thankful it is running as bad and abused as it looked.
By the way you got any updated pics of it now?

I am no major mechanic but I would just run it some more with high octane gas, shoot I would be thankful it is running as bad and abused as it looked.
By the way you got any updated pics of it now?
Yeah I'm thrilled! I'm running 93 octane with stihl orange. No pics yet. Been snowing here every few days... Plowing, sanding, shoveling, snow blowing... No time left.

A friend is moving and was cleaning out her shed. Found this her ex had,
3f0aecf12187eccfe5447f7cfc7388c6.jpg

Dug through some boxes and found the starter cover, needs a spring and some screws.
1a25d92c6dc5caf68c58f58930823cb2.jpg

Pulled the muffler and piston and cylinder look great.
7ec73395bda61f076578c7c06a135166.jpg
1526b11a42ae25ef78c1f2ad3d9f763e.jpg
7092613d9c76d95716aa7a942b20e144.jpg

Haven't checked compression yet but it feels good!
e3dfe20d105390b7ae11f199743e2b6a.jpg
2a61edd76238681bdecf94f99a090941.jpg
d3b8629453abd28bde4983f1e5e17ff2.jpg
0f5c4c3804a9c8427c3ea5291c639295.jpg
e130259c19be6841c20a5f7eec395a9b.jpg
f364fa1c1cb269f86021f29ebce4d5db.jpg

Looks like a good cleaning and a couple parts and I'll have a good 60cc saw. It'll fit nice between my 55 and 181!!
Great saws!! Wonderful to convert!! Love Em!!!

Did you put that old spark plug back in it?
The insulator looks pretty dirty and glazed.
That will contribute to a misfire.

And with it's age, I would change out the fuel lines.
A little bit surprised that the diaphragms were still serviceable, must not have seen any E-gas
before it was shelved.
I would still get a kit and have it on hand, as those diaphragms may tear or give some trouble
after running a bit.
And they always seem to do it at an inconvenient time, when you can't just go get some off the shelf.

Did you put that old spark plug back in it?
The insulator looks pretty dirty and glazed.
That will contribute to a misfire.

And with it's age, I would change out the fuel lines.
A little bit surprised that the diaphragms were still serviceable, must not have seen any E-gas
before it was shelved.
I would still get a kit and have it on hand, as those diaphragms may tear or give some trouble
after running a bit.
And they always seem to do it at an inconvenient time, when you can't just go get some off the shelf.
I did reuse the old plug. If seems to be getting worse too. I took a video yesterday I'll post up. It almost sounds like popcorn popping.
I'll get a plug and order the carb kit and lines. That's a good thought, thanks.
I never pulled a 2stroke carb apart before and wasn't sure what to expect. I was surprised to save it as well.

Of Course The usual adage about checking all of the wiring for chafing and cracks
Or looseness at all connections especially the plug wire.
Might even have to run it with the kill switch unhooked and see if the miss stops.
Just use the choke to kill it at idle speed.

Of Course The usual adage about checking all of the wiring for chafing and cracks
Or looseness at all connections especially the plug wire.
Might even have to run it with the kill switch unhooked and see if the miss stops.
Just use the choke to kill it at idle speed.
Hmmm. My kill switch was broke so I pulled it out. Wire is floating in there. Maybe it's vibrating and shorting out. I just received my new switch yesterday. I'll put it in and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks

I had a jonsered 801 that popped like that and it was the crank seals, next time its running spray some brake cleaner around the clutch and flywheel, if there leaking it should rev up a bit
Ok I will do that.
Thanks

I should add that the loose kill wire can be blown around by the flywheel/fan blast
so even if it looks like it's in an ok position, The vibration and air can move it
around, while running.
maybe put a piece of electrical tape around the end.

husky 61 alongside with echo cs60s are the best selling 60cc saw in my region for over 3 decades, i know off few dealers that still has NOS husky 61
Consider yourself lucky !

The Husky 61 actually still is made (in Brazil), but those aren't sold in the US. They are meant for third wourld markets, where EPA isn't an issue.

The Husky 61 actually still is made (in Brazil), but those aren't sold in the US. They are meant for third wourld markets, where EPA isn't an issue.
that explains it, its still available in my country then but not many dealers have them
echo cs60s is discontinued right ?

Latest posts

Back