Dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you had "money to spend", which would it be?

• MS 661

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • AR-15

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I am waiting on getting paid for the 45 days of leave I sold back to the DoD and I've got a dilemma:

Buy a 661 or an AR-15 platform. I don't really NEED either one but now seems to be the time to get one or the other.

I figure if I get a job in the tree removal business, the 661 may help (there are some pretty big oak down here in GA). And the AR-15 would be a useful for...um...zombie killing should the need arise? Anyway, I'm getting worried that the AR may be banned....again. SO I'm thinking I should get one now while I have the chance.

Thoughts?

Posting on a chainsaw forum I believe you already know what's gonna be said. That being said I voted for the AR . Whats your budget and are you looking to build an AR or buy a complete one ?

for 45 days of pay, get both. An AR type gun can be had for $600 these days. (just bought one for my son) and an MS661 is about $1300 out the door. So for less than 2K you have both in hand.

Yeah but watch buying a cheap AR. Just like cheap saws. Building one is your best bet. You get exactly what you want.

Posting on a chainsaw forum I believe you already know what's gonna be said. That being said I voted for the AR . Whats your budget and are you looking to build an AR or buy a complete one ?

$1500-$2000 give or take.

If I decide on the 661, I'll be paying a little extra for B&Cs (probably get a Tsumura 28" and 36"). And a "forestry" helmet with mesh shield.

If I decide on an AR, I was going for a complete one as I don't want to have to spend the extra time researching parts and having to find a FFL to order the lower receiver for me. I have several dealers in the area and if I can get an AR as close to an M-4 as possible, I may go ahead and cough up the extra money. I'd use the AR for target shooting, home defense and hunting.

You could always buy a 80 percent lower. Shipped to your door. But if I was gonna spend that much check into Daniel Defense, spikes, sig. Ruger has also came out with a real nice AR for a great price.

Unless your hunting coyote I'd think about a AR10, .308 is hard to beat except ammo prices. I've deer hunted with 5.56 before but I've passed up on more shots then I took.

I'd buy the AR, but I already have a 15, so my next will likely be a 300blk, or a piston gun. I'd like an AR10, but it's not in the budget. Of course I also very rarely cut wood that would justify a 90cc saw, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Another thought......if you're of the mind set that the AR platform and/or ammo will be banned soon, then buy that one before the another hysteria happens like the last one when Bushmaster's were selling above $2k (buncha idiots). It's highly unlikely that they'll ban MS661's anytime soon, so you can get one of those any ol' time.

Another, another thought.....if a crazed lunatic is chasing you with an MS661 and you have an AR, you'll have the distance advantage and be a shoe-in in a fire fight.

OK, I've convinced myself. I need another AR. :D

:clap::clap::clap:

Unless your hunting coyote I'd think about a AR10, .308 is hard to beat except ammo prices. I've deer hunted with 5.56 before but I've passed up on more shots then I took.

I'd be target shooting 99% of the time I think so that's why I'm thinking of 5.56. That and the difference in price of ammo.

I'd buy the AR, but I already have a 15, so my next will likely be a 300blk, or a piston gun. I'd like an AR10, but it's not in the budget. Of course I also very rarely cut wood that would justify a 90cc saw, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Another thought......if you're of the mind set that the AR platform and/or ammo will be banned soon, then buy that one before the another hysteria happens like the last one when Bushmaster's were selling above $2k (buncha idiots). It's highly unlikely that they'll ban MS661's anytime soon, so you can get one of those any ol' time.

Another, another thought.....if a crazed lunatic is chasing you with an MS661 and you have an AR, you'll have the distance advantage and be a shoe-in in a fire fight.

OK, I've convinced myself. I need another AR. :D

:clap::clap::clap:

LOL! Well, I'm pretty sure I could out-run anybody chasing after me with a 661.

But good point(s).

for 45 days of pay, get both. An AR type gun can be had for $600 these days. (just bought one for my son) and an MS661 is about $1300 out the door. So for less than 2K you have both in hand.

True but I'm also taking into account that I would need to buy a safe for the AR (and any future rifles). I know I don't need to have a safe but it helps prevent people from easy access.

Back