Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, not technically a scrounge, but a tree service buddy text me they had a load of ash, got home from work and it they showed up 10 minutes later. He got me another load a few weeks ago of bigger stuff.

Here is the two loads together after I moved them. I am running out of places to put it. Not sure how many cord but guessing 4? Most logs are 14-16' long. Pile is 7' high. Payment is I have to go fishing in Canada with him this fall and bring beer.......he is a great guy.

20150427_203342_zps8346ec36.jpg
20150427_203355_zps4dc3af4b.jpg
20150427_203508_zps6c63a56c.jpg

How is that considered payment!!! Nice score.

Heh...not sure, I invited him on ice fishing trip up to Lake of the Woods couple months ago. He lives about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies from me. He said had too much wood sitting by his place already. Will probably spend a saturday or few nites over there, help splitting sometime. He got a Super Split, so can throw wood for a while to feed that hungry beast....lol

Ambull , the area I'm scrounging in has been cut over for commercial harvest more than once and a forest fire went through a section of it a while back so small wood mostly and no wood in some sections is what I have to work with .
I can tell you that it is easier to haul out a dozen 8' by 6" stems of wood to the road than it is a couple 8' by 24" logs by hand but I'll not say no to the bigger logs LOL

Man! I had scrounged a load of cherry all dancan style in the back of my 98 Cherokee and then forgot to take a picture until it was unloaded and stacked. Oh well, here it is anyway - should make nice fireplace wood. Got it from friends in the city who had a couple of big trees taken down. All the brush was gone and a couple of us went over to buck, split, and load. The funny part is that they think we did them a huge favor by getting this wood out of their yard.IMG_8989.JPG

Heh...not sure, I invited him on ice fishing trip up to Lake of the Woods couple months ago. He lives about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies from me. He said had too much wood sitting by his place already. Will probably spend a saturday or few nites over there, help splitting sometime. He got a Super Split, so can throw wood for a while to feed that hungry beast....lol
IDK how your going to manage to help process the wood. You arm must be hurting from all the twisting it received. I still think that deserves a 'you suck'.

Man! I had scrounged a load of cherry all dancan style in the back of my 98 Cherokee and then forgot to take a picture until it was unloaded and stacked. Oh well, here it is anyway - should make nice fireplace wood. Got it from friends in the city who had a couple of big trees taken down. All the brush was gone and a couple of us went over to buck, split, and load. The funny part is that they think we did them a huge favor by getting this wood out of their yard.View attachment 421433
I think you will be disappointed if you burn this in your (open) fireplace. Cherry snaps and pops like crazy. Some times I feel like I need a face shield when I burn a big load of it and then stir the coals. Those popers come out and bite ya!

You don't suck at scroungin' Ambull, you're just experiencing "on the job training" like we all went through. You get an A+ for effort. More than a lot of 20 year old's can say!!View attachment 421350

No, I really do suck lol. It's great exercise though when I remember not to use my lower back to lift.

Ambull , the area I'm scrounging in has been cut over for commercial harvest more than once and a forest fire went through a section of it a while back so small wood mostly and no wood in some sections is what I have to work with .
I can tell you that it is easier to haul out a dozen 8' by 6" stems of wood to the road than it is a couple 8' by 24" logs by hand but I'll not say no to the bigger logs LOL

I wish I had smaller stuff to cut. That way I could just lift the end myself and place it on another limb to prevent bar pinches. No way I'm lifting downed trees I come across. Plus the smaller stuff is easier to split.

Just have to look at a pice of wood and ask it, are you in tension or in compression? Then make a cut into the compression side first then cut on the tension side towards the compression side.

Get yourself a timberjack and only cut halfway through on the first cut. No more pinching if you are caregful.

I've been cutting halfway then using my legs to roll the log over. For the root ball tree I started cutting about the middle of the log. Used the wedge but misjudged the compression side

Just have to look at a pice of wood and ask it, are you in tension or in compression? Then make a cut into the compression side first then cut on the tension side towards the compression side.

Yep, usually that works. It was hard to see the compression side on this tree though. Should have cut a little slower to watch the kerf

H-Ranch, be very careful with Cherry in the fireplace. Cherry is a good burning, good smelling wood, but it likes to pop. Make sure the screen is up, or you will have trouble.
must be the NY cherry that does that. never had that problem with our PA cherry.:rolleyes:

Indeed, great looking splits!

I am surprised the "shoulda milled it" crew hasn't been along to chastise him yet.
well yes it should have been milled.:laughing: NOT!!! great firewood.

I think you will be disappointed if you burn this in your (open) fireplace. Cherry snaps and pops like crazy. Some times I feel like I need a face shield when I burn a big load of it and then stir the coals. Those popers come out and bite ya!
see above.:laugh:

Latest scounge over the weekend. Responded to a craigslist add and was the first there. 4-16 foot trailer loads so far with 2-3 more to go.

The guy thought I was doing him a huge favor, he had all the brush cleaned up and the wood cut. I just had to back up to it and load it up.

The logs in the background are 4-6 foot long. And the large round in the middle of the pictures is about 40" long.

Went to go grab another load and ended up picking up this splitter. An old Northern Hydraulic unit, it has a 22 gpm pump and 5x30 cylinder on it. Im putting a new 13 hp engine on it, hopefully tonight to test it out.

I usually try to keep some splits around for the fireplace that smell good, look good, and burn good. Check. Although by the time it's ready burn the color is not near as pretty as it is fresh split. I've burned plenty of cherry and it doesn't pop and spark near as much as a few others. Father-in-law's buddy calls sassafras "company wood" because it pops and puts on a good show for company. No matter what kind of wood it is I keep the screen closed for sure.

Back