Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally broke down & purchased a hydro splitter today. It is only 22 Ton, but it feels very strong, I put in a couple of large rounds of knotty Maple and it went right through them. Very please so far. I know they would have been real tough to split by hand! This one will do both horizontal & vertical, so I did not even have to lift them up, just rolled them and tipped em up!

Nice splitter Mike. Looks like a Speeco make just rebranded, sold under Countyline name I suppose, like Husky sold by TSC. 'Only 22-ton'...it'll bust anything you can roll to it or heave up on it. One of my brothers has the TSC Husky 22-ton version...has busted everything he, I, everyone has thrown at it over the last few years. Bad crotch, gnarley pieces will give it a good ride for your money, but hell those pieces give most splitters a challenge anyhow.

Congrats on the purchase.

I did not want to plug non sponsors, but that is what it is and where it is from. Very sturdily built, and heavy! Kohler 6.5 hp motor. Has faster cycle time than the two heavier duty ones. Glad I did not spend the extra money, like you say, it seems like it will go through about anything!

Well, I did not realize that I was posting CRIME SCENE PHOTOS, but if you have heard about the Fiance who is accused of killing her boyfriend, they left in their kyacks from Cornwall harbor (photo #4, across the river just above Storm King Mtn), and the incident is alleged to have taken place near Bannerman's Island (photo #4, the island is partially visible on the right side of the river).

Just thought I would let you know if any of you are interested in this.

I started adding a woodshed on to my metal carport yesterday. I am using parts from our recently retired 15' trampoline. It is going to work out good, but I am still ruminating about how the roof will transition from the original carport to the woodshed add on. I figured I should think on it a bit before I pulled the trigger. Pictures to come. After I get this sucker built, I can start scrounging in earnest!

Clint, I already appreciate it! No pics today, but I split Oak, Hard Maple and Black Birch, and a lot of it was twisted grain, and some of it was too big to lift, so I did appreciate that vertical feature, just roll it up and tip it!

All I can saw is that it has more power than I expected, the reviews were correct. Can't really imagine what someone would do with a more powerful one!

I enjoyed being outside on this beautiful day. Used the saws, used the splitter, all is well! Although lowering large stumps is still a pain in the butt!

I scored another scrounge from a guy I got 6 or so loads during the winter from. I probably have 3 more I could take out. Good for me, but I think this guy is a little crazy because he had all the trees taken out of his lot behind his house to make more of a yard. Small .5 acre town lot. Probably made his property value go down because it is in a real nice subdivision.
9cf2d234a6f9e145884d3d1f26ae5da7.jpg

I scored another scrounge from a guy I got 6 or so loads during the winter from. I probably have 3 more I could take out. Good for me, but I think this guy is a little crazy because he had all the trees taken out of his lot behind his house to make more of a yard. Small .5 acre town lot. Probably made his property value go down because it is in a real nice subdivision.
9cf2d234a6f9e145884d3d1f26ae5da7.jpg
His lose, your gain.

T-Shirt and bikini weather up here today , hit a high of 50* :)
Fired up the Bota and headed out for the edge of a cut .

IMG_20150502_124628.jpg

Lotsa dead and blown over spruce in here , no size to them so no splitting required ;)

IMG_20150502_130640.jpg

Between the blow downs and a couple of porky chewed trees I got enough for a small load .

IMG_20150502_151816.jpg

No blackflies to be seen :)

Hi guys. We're in the heart of scrounging season right now. Every day there are 3-4 new ads on CL for free firewood in my area. I scored a couple decent sized cherry trees the other day, I love to burn that stuff. Got some pics of it, testing out my truck bed crane, and I just realized I cant post them from my work computer. Oh well, guess I'll post up later.

I got my Trampoline / Woodshed almost finished today, and I am only going to have $30 in the project. It is 67" wide, 7' tall, and 20' long. I wanted to share my pictures. I still have to anchor the outside of the legs in some concrete and I should be ready to start stacking my firewood. Mrs. Weld is insisting that I get a couple pieces of the steel siding so it will be enclosed on the outer side (like the carport was before I made the siding into roofing). I was able to use the four upright parts off of our old trampoline to make the ribs on the shed. I think I will work just fine like it is, but if I can find another set up uprights off of a scrapped trampoline, I will add that middle rib.

Here are the trampoline parts all screwed together.

20150502_075305.jpg

Here are the 4 ribs bolted to the original carport.

20150502_102407.jpg

Here are the 4 ribs with a side view. Ignore all my projects (Mrs. Weld likes to refer to that valuable material as "Junk") :D

20150502_102416.jpg

The old siding is now roofing! :happybanana:
I will be able to easily put a winters worth of wood under this shed.

20150502_154113.jpg

20150502_154128.jpg

Back