Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice extension to the carport !!
Every time a large store that uses shopping carts around here move or close up I try to buy up the shopping cart corals that have roofs on them , no luck so far , I seem to get outbid .
I cheated and scrounged a load this evening , I picked up some of the wood that my friends son blocked up for me :)

IMG_20150502_194944.jpg

After having a patio poured today. I got another load today from the same guy I posted about yesterday. He had me cut down two more small hackberries today. Probably going back for one more load tomorrow. Wife is going to get too irritated if I get more then one more load Sunday.
c7e529a23eda245f0604182d793ec83f.jpg

My son watching the concrete truck.

7cedcd992715701e5f227352e4e0322d.jpg

No scrounging here. A total of 5 sporting events for the kids today: 3 soccer and 2 baseball games. Maybe take a day or two off to get my wood put up this week.

Hmmm...'splain to the kiddos that wooding IS a sporting event! Fantastic payback! Guaranteed to go "pro" even before college! Heat, plus sell some, loot!

At least, that would be my plan ;)

Gave the splitter a workout today, can't believe what it will go through! It slows down, but it just won't stop! Even large Ys are not a problem. Everything I cut is split already, and I brought a load over to my daughter. The pic is what was left after I brought it over.

Still like to keep the Fiskars handy though. I put the splitter in vertical mode to split a round that was way too heavy to lift. I ran it through both sides at 180 degrees, but that darn thing still would not separate because the the stringy wood in the middle, so the Fiskars was perfect for cutting through that!

The owner also wanted to show me some other trees he may want to take down, and just into the woods next to his house I see about 15 four foot bolts of Red Oak (about 10" in diameter). He tells me they are from a tree he had taken down a few years ago, and says they are mine if I want them! The ATV is going to be doing some transporting soon!

I decided I need to put some sides on the trailer, so I can just throw the wood in instead of vertically stacking it like I have been doing. The metal side rail is only 12" hi, and too open underneath it.

So I had some treated 2X10s, and some plywood scraps, so I came up with a plan. I attached the plywood to the 2X10s so that there is about 3" open at the bottom so I can run straps from the hooks, and I set the 2X10s on top of the metal rail and temp c-clamped the plywood to the angle iron. I had pre drilled some holes in the metal, and I ran 6" Timberlocks through the metal into the 2X10s. Feels solid as a rock, I'll take a pic tomorrow when I finish it (I did both sides, but did not finish the front yet).

I hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful weather we had today!

Attachments

• Wood-5-2-15 001.jpg
    Wood-5-2-15 001.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 37
The tree care crews have been trimming all winter for the utility co. overhead lines and there are hundreds of cords of wood laying everywhere beside the road. Trouble is 80% of it is pine, which nobody wants. Haven't seen one person loading any of it, and homeowners are left with large butt logs on their lawn. What doesn't fit into the chipper is left where it falls. Since Maine is known as the "Pine Tree State", and is over 90% covered with forest, you can imagine how many pine trees there are to deal with. Scrounging paradise, if you don't mind pine. Trouble is, for the homeowner, no one will take it, and they usually end up paying someone to remove it.

The tree care crews have been trimming all winter for the utility co. overhead lines and there are hundreds of cords of wood laying everywhere beside the road. Trouble is 80% of it is pine, which nobody wants. Haven't seen one person loading any of it, and homeowners are left with large butt logs on their lawn. What doesn't fit into the chipper is left where it falls. Since Maine is known as the "Pine Tree State", and is over 90% covered with forest, you can imagine how many pine trees there are to deal with. Scrounging paradise, if you don't mind pine. Trouble is, for the homeowner, no one will take it, and they usually end up paying someone to remove it.
How soon people forget....just think two months ago people were scrounging pallets and furniture to burn because they didn't prepare for winter. Now there is wood on the ground but it isn't good enough. Go figure!

When do you use the winch, and when do you use the jack?

Thanks.

Philbert
From far away (more than 6 feet) I get a better angle on the pulley if the boom is pointing up a bit, so I winch them to the back corner of the truck like that. Then depending on the length of the log, I often lower the boom to keep it a little farther from my tail light while the log is hanging in the air. I winch it about all the way up until theres no cable left, then swing it around the back of the truck. If it needs to go a little higher to clear, i can jack it up 2-3 feet more.

Back