Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what did you pay for the splitter? I acted to slow on one just like that--sold for 1k--it was in perfect working condition and hardly used. Im still pissed about it and it is hard for me to sleep at night. it sucks just thinking about it!!

what did you pay for the splitter? I acted to slow on one just like that--sold for 1k--it was in perfect working condition and hardly used. Im still pissed about it and it is hard for me to sleep at night. it sucks just thinking about it!!

I payed $575 for it. But it had a replacement 6.5hp motor that is way to small for the 22 gpm pump. The motor stalled out as soon as you hit the valve. I picked up a 13hp and mounted it last night. I am dropping a hose off today because its too short for the new motor. Hopefully tonight I can run it up and see what else needs addressed.

I was able to scrounge a nice cherry log last year. Most of it did end up in a smoker (mine or some of my buddies). They were thrilled to get the cherry chunks.

For all the woodworkers out there, I did give some of the larger rounds to a buddy who is a wizard on a lathe. He hogged out some blanks and gave me back all the off fall. It too will end up in the smoker. MMMMMMMmmmmmmm good! :barbecue:

This is their first day out of the brooder. The back 1/3 has a tarp fastened over it, and i rigged it so that I can unfold it and cover 2/3 when the weather is bad.

I'm planning on hanging the heat lamp in there for the next few nights, at least till the overnights get closer to the 50's. They probably won't leave the tractor now until it's time to make lunch out of them.

Well, I finally broke down & purchased a hydro splitter today. It is only 22 Ton, but it feels very strong, I put in a couple of large rounds of knotty Maple and it went right through them. Very pleased so far. I know they would have been real tough to split by hand! This one will do both horizontal & vertical, so I did not even have to lift them up, just rolled them and tipped em up!

Attachments

• MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 016.jpg
    MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 016.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
Now, for the hike this morning with the wife & dogs. Went to Mt Taurus, on the East side of the Hudson just above Cold Spring. I never tire of those views!

We sighted the sloop Clearwater when we first got there, then saw trains & planes! Storm King is across the river, with the road cut in the side of it, a favorite destination for bikes (both with pedals and motors).

Breakneck Ridge is to the North (last pic), and although I have said it before, for the newbies, granite from Breakneck Ridge was used to build the Brooklyn Bridge, West Point, and the step of the Capital Building (Albany).

West Point (pic 3) is across the river & South.

Attachments

• MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 007.jpg
    MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 007.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
  • MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 008.jpg
    MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 008.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
  • MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 014.jpg
    MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 014.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
  • MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 003.jpg
    MtTaurus&WdSpltr-4-30-15 003.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
Hey Mike did you notice the splitter has tires? You don't need a trailer[emoji1]

Yea, but they are small tires! Besides, even though I bought them both at the same place, when I got the trailer it needed a 1&7/8 ball, so I swapped out my 2" ball for a 1&7/8". You guessed it, the splitter need a 2" ball!

Latest posts

Back