Stihl MS241C-M vs Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone has actually worked them both...

Fair enough. It's not a purebred Husqvarna, but it's a fine saw for the mongrel it is. :)

i'm a pure bred husky guy and i would choose the stihl LOL i will admit that i have never ran a 543 but i really don't like paying top dollar for a saw that screams earthquake in all aspects of handling and appearance LOL i figure, if i wanted a saw that handles like an earthquake i'll just buy an earthquake. not that earthquakes handle bad. they just feel cheap. i have picked one up at the dealer many times cause it has a certain annoyance to me. really wish husky made the 543 a scaled down version of the 550 with AT.

I'd likely go with the 241 before the 543. With that said I sure like my little Dolmar 421.

View attachment 427012
That alone is by far the best buy out there!!! Loose the cat and the weight difference is minor.
i'm a pure bred husky guy and i would choose the stihl LOL i will admit that i have never ran a 543 but i really don't like paying top dollar for a saw that screams earthquake in all aspects of handling and appearance LOL i figure, if i wanted a saw that handles like an earthquake i'll just buy an earthquake. not that earthquakes handle bad. they just feel cheap. i have picked one up at the dealer many times cause it has a certain annoyance to me. really wish husky made the 543 a scaled down version of the 550 with AT.
That alone is the main problem I see here. A bunch of freaks repeating what someone else before them stated with out any longer first hand experience. For me an actual highly experienced user like "mweba" stating his like for the saw has far more impact.

I donot have a 543, but I have some japanese saws (also a few from Zenoah = Red Max) and like them alot! Many comments come around by people critisising "it doesn't feel like A or B", simply because that is all they know. Well got some news for you it isn't A or B! But it runs real mean and can hold it's own compared to any other brand, irrespective of "feel". And that is the moment I often really enjoy, seeing how people beginn to comprehend that a lot in their world is prejudice and that the world out there might truely have something else to offer.

And we are seeing other examples for example like Dolmar, quite unkonwn, but for many who give the brand a chance don't want to be without one anymore!

That alone is by far the best buy out there!!! Loose the cat and the weight difference is minor.

That alone is the main problem I see here. A bunch of freaks repeating what someone else before them stated with out any longer first hand experience. For me an actual highly experienced user like "mweba" stating his like for the saw has far more impact.

I donot have a 543, but I have some japanese saws (also a few from Zenoah = Red Max) and like them alot! Many comments come around by people critisising "it doesn't feel like A or B", simply because that is all they know. Well got some news for you it isn't A or B! But it runs real mean and can hold it's own compared to any other brand, irrespective of "feel". And that is the moment I often really enjoy, seeing how people beginn to comprehend that a lot in their world is prejudice and that the world out there might truely have something else to offer.

And we are seeing other examples for example like Dolmar, quite unkonwn, but for many who give the brand a chance don't want to be without one anymore!

Well said! We're all guilty of having biased from time to time.

should be able to get a Husq 545 for less than the cost of a 543. More power, and only 1/2 a pound heavier.

Well, then the way is short to the 550xp, which is what makes most sense in the first place. :D

My thoughts is that the power loss with the current breed of 42/43cc saws just is too large for just a small "loss" of weight. Any loss of bulk is questionable at best, and may only be present with the Husky at all? The inboard clutch of the Stihl and Dolmar, doesn't make sense either, for well known reasons.

If the point is to save money, the Dolmar is the only one that is enough cheaper (in the US) to make any real differense, likely not on all markets?

Well, then the way is short to the 550xp, which is what makes most sense in the first place. :D

My thoughts is that the power loss with the current breed of 42/43cc saws just is too large for just a small "loss" of weight. Any loss of bulk is questionable at best, and may only be present with the Husky at all? The inboard clutch of the Stihl and Dolmar, doesn't make sense either, for well known reasons.

If the point is to save money, the Dolmar is the only one that is enough cheaper (in the US) to make any real differense, likely not on all markets?
Well the Dolmar is a LOT cheaper in the german speaking european contries that I know. And there is a reason why the 421 belongs to the all time favorit saw in german speaking forums.

And if anyone wants weight loss in the 40cc class, I am sorry but you have to look for japanese saws. The husqvarna 543(= Zenoah , Shindaiwa 452, etc. all weigh less than what Stihl has to offer and even less than the famed 242xp.
For me I prefer my Hitachi CS40ek = Tanaka ECV 3801, although the bigger brother (Tanaka ECV 4501 regl. specs 42.9ccm/2.72hp/14500rpm/4kg!) would be a better contender!

The Earthquakes are copies of various RedMax saws. More than likely the one you picked up was a copy of a G3800, which is the same chassis as the GZ400/4000/4500. I've read many here say these saws feel cheap, but what I think they feel is a lack of weight as they are very light. The chassis are quite strong, even the Earthquake clones, and the engines are beautifully made. I don't really get the "it's not a real XP" comments, as Husqvarna has nothing on Zenoah when it comes to engine design.

The biggest disappointment in the 543 is that it's not AT. It also gained some weight over the GZ4500 in an effort to make it more "XP" like, to no real advantage at all. They'd have been much better off putting AT on a GZ4500 - Husky never made a small saw as good.

@Chris-PA; I don't agree with everything you said, but you are right that the biggest disappointlent was the lack of AV. However, there is more, enough for me to feel that it isn't a real Husky xp.

As I see it, the real assets with Zenoah was the "strato" patents they owned, and an ability to make reasonably priced and still decent smaller saws - definately not to design really well performing engines.

The power output for the 4500 is lower than for the 4300/543xp, by about .2 kW/.3 hp.

If the saw is to compliment a 362 and the only reason for it is delimbing and lighter weight, I'd skip both the 241 and the 543xp. Both are just silly expensive for what they are. The 241 is almost a 346xp/550xp weight wise, with less power and $550 by the time you add in taxes and an extra loop. The 543xp is a killer powerplant with an identity crisis. They improved the air filtering and chain brake handle from the typical Redmax, but they also added $200 to the price while keeping the fuel/oil caps with the flimsy gaskets that I really dislike compared to Stihl and Husky.

For the money, I'd just grab a Redmax GZ4000 or 4500 and muff mod it. They are about $300-325 and run strong despite the mediocre oil/fuel caps and single hinged chain brake. For the $200 saved you are almost to the purchase of a nice chain grinder or a whole lot of chains and mix.

If you are really just adding a saw for the sake of adding a saw, the 241 would be my choice as it has Mtronic when the husky does not.

My 543 has been reliable. The handles feel great. The recoil should have been slimmer it would have made the saw smaller overall. The air filter is cheap and the power doesn't come on until about the 10th tank of fuel. My biggest gripe about the saw are the plastic colors don't match and the price. Oh and its no 242xp.

If the saw is to compliment a 362 and the only reason for it is delimbing and lighter weight, I'd skip both the 241 and the 543xp. Both are just silly expensive for what they are. The 241 is almost a 346xp/550xp weight wise, with less power and $550 by the time you add in taxes and an extra loop. The 543xp is a killer powerplant with an identity crisis. They improved the air filtering and chain brake handle from the typical Redmax, but they also added $200 to the price while keeping the fuel/oil caps with the flimsy gaskets that I really dislike compared to Stihl and Husky.

For the money, I'd just grab a Redmax GZ4000 or 4500 and muff mod it. They are about $300-325 and run strong despite the mediocre oil/fuel caps and single hinged chain brake. For the $200 saved you are almost to the purchase of a nice chain grinder or a whole lot of chains and mix.

If you are really just adding a saw for the sake of adding a saw, the 241 would be my choice as it has Mtronic when the husky does not.
I need a smaller saw than the MS362C for light work, and want to stay with Stihl. To me the MS241C makes the most sense, but I'll keep my 025 if it doesn't sell on eBay.

definately not to design really well performing engines
Here you are just showing your Scandinavian bias, as Zenoah has long been known precisely for really good performing engines.

The power output for the 4500 is lower than for the 4300/543xp, by about .2 kW/.3 hp.
On paper perhaps, but power doesn't come from magic and the engine design is clearly derivative from the GZ4500 - a minor reduction of displacement, a jog in the exhaust port which probably doesn't hurt or help, and that offset crank. I'd bet a good beer the only power increase is due to a less restrictive muffler which has always been the major limit on the GZ400/4000/4500 saws. So if you give the GZ4500 a muffler mod then all they've done is increase the weight to incorporate the oil tank in the casting.

I need a smaller saw than the MS362C for light work, and want to stay with Stihl. To me the MS241C makes the most sense, but I'll keep my 025 if it doesn't sell on eBay.
Get the 241 for small stuff and limbing you will love it. It aint no bucking saw keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Back