Would it be worth buying a Husky 555??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The build quality of a 555 is as good as any "pro" saw

Game over.

Now when you compare it to a real pro saw like Reed's factory stock (except for MM & tune) Echo 620p, it really is "game over" for the 555. Both these saws cost about the same ($640). This 555 has a 562xp top end, 562 reflash, and is MM'd. They both have new chains, so Fullchisel can't claim it's some trick with the rakers or dull chain. The 620p hands the souped up 555 it's own a$$ in short order by cutting 60% faster.

So I guess if what you guys are saying is true, that the "555 is as good as any pro saw", I have to question what you consider a "pro" saw. My opinion is that the 555 is DEFINITELY NOT a pro saw and Husky never meant for it to be. It is a homeowner saw, or as Husky describes it, "Husqvarna 555 is developed for demanding work by contractors and landowners". From a performance perspective, it really is an embarrassment to Husqvarna that these two saws are priced the same as they are not even in the same league:

1st:16 sec
2nd:16sec
3rd:17sec

620 (watch my hand in the 3rd video, releasing to show no extra pressure is being applied)
1st:10sec
2nd:10sec
3rd:10sec
4th:13 sec

OK, so I have an inference and question along this topic...

My brother is in love with my 357 and has missed the boat on getting his own seeing as how they seem to be almost as rare to find as hens teeth... So I have suggested he look into a 555 for a new saw that compares pretty closely with my 357xp.

Here is the inference part of my post: It seems to me that the 555/562xp duo have taken the place of the 359/357xp duo respectively, with the exception that the new pair have a little more power and the new features we all know about that I'm not going to list..Just going my specs and numbers here.

Now the question: Is the 555 comparable performance-wise to the old beloved 357xp?? Again, going by advertised specs, it seems to me that it exactly the case.

I'm really satisfied with my main 3-saw plan.. 346NE, 357xp, and 372xpw (75cc version). I find myself using that 357 more than the other two most times.. It was the first XP I bought and was my only saw for a few years. Then a little CAD reared it's ugly head! LOL!
I haven't compared these two saws back to back, but I owned a 562 (stock at the time) and a muff modded and base gasket deleted 359.
I sold the 359.
Others have different points of view, and I believe most of them are using ported saws as a reference as I wasn't ever that impressed with a basically stock 359.

I'd also be looking at the dolmar 6100, and the echo options have some vocal fans.

I'd like to see the 555, 562xp, MS362-cm, Dolmar 6100 and a representative Echo all lined up cutting the same 14-18" Hedge logs. That would separate the boys from the men.

It doesn't get much denser than Madrone at 4,086 lbs per dry cord (although not quite as heavy as Hedge at 4,728 lbs per dry cord). Here's a good vid that Reed made noodling. Does this mean his 620p is in the "men" category?

Yes it is in the "Men" category and I never implied that it wasn't nor that it was lacking in quality. I know more than a few farmers/ranchers locally who swear by Echo, the other 3 be darned. The 620p is a hell of a saw. If I was only going to have 2 saws, that would be a serious contender. What the op inferenced in his question and I think you're still missing is that the 620p is a noticeably larger and heavier (or more poorly balanced) saw.

I have run one and handled a few 620s. My 372 (and the 365) feel about the same, size and weight-wise and my 372 will beat up on that 620. Equally ported, the whooping is less so, which again proves the Echo's value and performance. No one here has argued that. For those who are particular to weight and handling (as a by-product of performance) the 562 and MS361 feel better (I can't speak for the Dolmar 6100 as I've only held them). The 620p is physically more on par with the 365/372xp, MS441/044/440/046/460/461 and Dolmar 6400-7900. For the same reason that most people don't intentionally buy a Dolmar 6400, and instead buy a 7900 (same chassis/weight, more power, or buy the 6400 with the intention of installing a 7900 P&C kit) many don't want to buy a 60cc engine, regardless of output, in a 70-80cc chassis when the 70-80cc saw will weigh the same and provide more performance.

Another example is the 50cc class. Both the MS261 and Echo CS500P have more torque than the Husky 346xp. I love my MS261 and it's a hell of a saw but it handles more like a 60cc saw and I miss my old 346xp and liked it better. It balanced better, had a better top-end and was generally a lot more to my liking. The Stihl was a bit more expensive and the 500P with a 16" bar is about $70-80 less than I gave for my NE346xp when I bought it years ago. I would still choose the 346xp given those choices (although I'd like to try the 550xp and Johnny-red version).

I'm still seriously considering a CS355T over the new Stihl MS201T-CM simply due to the price point. Sometimes it isn't about the money as it is about the handling.

I guess your point is that a ported pro saw isn't so good at cutting softwood? Don't be a hater Chisel...makes you look childish.

BTW: If you are making fun of the 590 cutting softwood, are you making fun of that 361 as well? I'll say to you the same as I said to Mrs. Snelling:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Are you seriously attempting to justify why these two saws were so close? The fact that the 590 is a MM'd homeowner saw and the 361 is a ported pro saw makes your statement so ridiculous it's laughable. THESE TWO SAWS SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CLOSE!

The 361 sounded a little rich but cleaned up pretty nice in the cut but my hearing isn't great. You could also make the same point for the 590. It was almost brand new (on it's second tank) and was tuned a little rich as well. Your bias is so glaringly obvious to everyone but you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still out making friends, huh?

I can guarantee you this, your Echo won't be holding >13K in the cut like the properly tuned 361 I ported Saturday. Of course, your kind isn't interested in facts. Seriously, there's no reason for you to feel inferior and be so defensive about your saw choices. They're great saws for the money.

Still out making friends, huh?

I can guarantee you this, your Echo won't be holding >13K in the cut like the properly tuned 361 I ported Saturday. Of course, your kind isn't interested in facts. Seriously, there's no reason for you to feel inferior and be so defensive about your saw choices. They're great saws for the money.

Once again, your arrogance and irrational arguments are on display for everyone to see. Are you really bragging that my "Echo won't be holding >13k in the cut..." like the 361 you just ported? Wouldn't ya hope that a ported 361 would be stronger than my stock 600 or 620? It probably has more to do with the fact that you are the only person on this site that knows how to "properly tune" a saw, right?

How do we go from debating the merits of the 555 being a pro built saw to bragging about a highly modified saw beating up on a stock saw? But then again, "my type" isn't interested in discussing facts so who am I to question you? I must say, your arrogance is unusual for someone that's in the business. Could be one reason why my saw will be going to Tennessee in December and not Ohio. Like I said in another thread, I like the sounds of a "Masterminded" vs. "Smellerized".

Ok, so I think we can agree to call the 555 a "pro built", "underperforming", "expensive" homeowner model?
Not sure what your intent of the word we above is.

The choices are
xp saws
powerful robust saws
all around saws

At least in my market.

They can be had at what I would consider steeply discounted prices if that really matters.
With the de tuning vs the 562/2260 comes lower noise and vibration specs that Husky posts in a manner easy to find.

I think I have put it before, one can get a small spline drum for the 555 in parts of the world where it doesn't come that way. Is that possible with the 60cc class echo platform?

Once again, your arrogance and irrational arguments are on display for everyone to see. Are you really bragging that my "Echo won't be holding >13k in the cut..." like the 361 you just ported? Wouldn't ya hope that a ported 361 would be stronger than my stock 600 or 620? It probably has more to do with the fact that you are the only person on this sight that knows how to "properly tune" a saw, right?

How do we go from debating the merits of the 555 being a pro built saw to bragging about a highly modified saw beating up on a stock saw? But then again, "my type" isn't interested in discussing facts so who am I to question you? I must say, your arrogance is unusual for someone that's in the business. Could be one reason why my saw will be going to Tennessee in December and not Ohio. Like I said in another thread, I like the sounds of a "Masterminded" vs. "Smellerized".
Haha. You're almost amusing, but rather pathetic. I wouldn't port a saw for you if you offered to pay quadruple the price. Your responses aren't even logical? YOU display a very common weakness in your kind. When you have nothing intelligent to say, you start spouting personal attacks. It's obvious that holding an intelligent conversation with you is not possible.

How did we get to discussing this? YOU brought it up, lol!

Wrong again. The 555 is a very good running saw.

That's impressive! You proved that it "runs"...the alternative being what...it doesn't run? You are comparing it to...uh...nothing. Does sound a little weak in the torque department though but I would expect that from a homeowner saw.

Actually, do that video over again against the $400 Echo 590 and you will provide everyone on this site with some valuable information.

Latest posts

Back