Would it be worth buying a Husky 555??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong again - they have just made some changes to hit a lower performance and price point than the 560xp. Quality is the same, including metal handlebar and clutch cover.

I agree with you ST! I never said the 555 was inadequate from a quality stand point. My point was, and you just backed this up, that it is not on the same level from a performance standpoint compared to the 560xp.

And do you remember post #93?:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has more to do with my opinion being different than this: "555 is in my opinion the best bang for the buck for a homeowner that wants a saw that's built as well as the more expensive pro model". That is no doubt a good saw and I wouldn't object to owning one. But dollar for dollar, performance to performance, the 555 falls short compared to the saw I mentioned. That saw just happens to be a different brand. I know it's not about brand but how do we have a discussion (without comparing brands) when there's more than one brand to discuss?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is a good time to post Andre's video again which backs up what I'm saying concerning homeowner saws:

I'd like to see the 555, 562xp, MS362-cm, Dolmar 6100 and a representative Echo all lined up cutting the same 14-18" Hedge logs. That would separate the boys from the men.

I'd like to see any of 'em cut the petrified white oak I came across earlier this summer. Stuff was tougher than woodpecker lips! That hedge is some tough stuff too.

I'd like to see any of 'em cut the petrified white oak I came across earlier this summer. Stuff was tougher than woodpecker lips! That hedge is some tough stuff too.
I cut a white oak anvil stand down awhile back. My grandfather made it at least 40yrs ago been in his shop all those years. Made my 550xp work lol

Man, that 590 just rips through the cottonwood! Maybe next time they can cut some balsa wood cants? :rolleyes:

I guess your point is that a ported pro saw isn't so good at cutting softwood? Don't be a hater Chisel...makes you look childish.

BTW: If you are making fun of the 590 cutting softwood, are you making fun of that 361 as well? I'll say to you the same as I said to Mrs. Snelling:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Are you seriously attempting to justify why these two saws were so close? The fact that the 590 is a MM'd homeowner saw and the 361 is a ported pro saw makes your statement so ridiculous it's laughable. THESE TWO SAWS SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CLOSE!

The 361 sounded a little rich but cleaned up pretty nice in the cut but my hearing isn't great. You could also make the same point for the 590. It was almost brand new (on it's second tank) and was tuned a little rich as well. Your bias is so glaringly obvious to everyone but you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a close look at a 2260WH then! :)

If such a thing could be found here...

On a tangent - I wonder what the cheapest country to ship a 560xpg from would be. I know it would come at an inflated price compared to what we expect here, but so what? Who knows, maybe in some other corner of the world they'd have a 357xpg left, which I'd prefer anyway.

On a tangent - I wonder what the cheapest country to ship a 560xpg from would be. I know it would come at an inflated price compared to what we expect here, but so what? Who knows, maybe in some other corner of the world they'd have a 357xpg left, which I'd prefer anyway.
Send Nate (fordf150) a PM and see if he can order you a 2260WH

I guess your point is that a ported pro saw isn't so good at cutting softwood? Don't be a hater Chisel...makes you look childish.

BTW: If you are making fun of the 590 cutting softwood, are you making fun of that 361 as well? I'll say to you the same as I said to Mrs. Snelling:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Are you seriously attempting to justify why these two saws were so close? The fact that the 590 is a MM'd homeowner saw and the 361 is a ported pro saw makes your statement so ridiculous it's laughable. THESE TWO SAWS SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CLOSE!

The 361 sounded a little rich but cleaned up pretty nice in the cut but my hearing isn't great. You could also make the same point for the 590. It was almost brand new (on it's second tank) and was tuned a little rich as well. Your bias is so glaringly obvious to everyone but you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My point is that which ever saw has the sharper chain with proper raker setting is going to be the fastest in such soft wood...it's not a good comparison. Put them in some 16"+ hardwood and see which ones comes out on top. I'm not knocking the saws, I'm knocking the "test" in the video.

Also, your statements about the 555 not being of the same quality as an XP saw are simply false...it's a mag cased saw that has simply been detuned.

Also, your statements about the 555 not being of the same quality as an XP saw are simply false...it's a mag cased saw that has simply been detuned.

You need to re-read what I've said. My comments about the 555 have been more about performance than quality as my comment in post #183 above explains:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I agree with you ST! I never said the 555 was inadequate from a quality stand point. My point was, and you just backed this up, that it is not on the same level from a performance standpoint compared to the 560xp."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never said it wasn't a mag cased saw either. The 590 is mag cased as well. As far as a different test is concerned: Stay tuned because I have a feeling there are going to be some really good comparison vids posted on this site in the not so distant future.

Sorry, I simply don't know the answer to that.

Yes, a 555 is worth purchasing.

Mine is pre owned, it is a runner no doubt.

We also have it's twin at work, the 2258, both are great saws. We did not need the rev - boost feature, in my opinion save the $100 and you will still make plenty of chips fly all day running these saws.

Attachments

• SAM_3029.JPG
    SAM_3029.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 14
This sure sounds like a comment about build quality and not performance to me...
"I know you are trying to sell saws, but come on bud. Saying a 555 is "built as well as the more expensive pro model" is really stretching it in my opinion."

Fair enough...my definition of "built as well" is different than yours and SawTrolls. If the 555 is a detuned version of the 560xp, that makes it not "built as well as the more expensive pro model" in my opinion.

OK, so I have an inference and question along this topic...

My brother is in love with my 357 and has missed the boat on getting his own seeing as how they seem to be almost as rare to find as hens teeth... So I have suggested he look into a 555 for a new saw that compares pretty closely with my 357xp.

Here is the inference part of my post: It seems to me that the 555/562xp duo have taken the place of the 359/357xp duo respectively, with the exception that the new pair have a little more power and the new features we all know about that I'm not going to list..Just going my specs and numbers here.

Now the question: Is the 555 comparable performance-wise to the old beloved 357xp?? Again, going by advertised specs, it seems to me that it exactly the case.

I'm really satisfied with my main 3-saw plan.. 346NE, 357xp, and 372xpw (75cc version). I find myself using that 357 more than the other two most times.. It was the first XP I bought and was my only saw for a few years. Then a little CAD reared it's ugly head! LOL!

Latest posts

Back