employees bringing dogs to work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to take my dog with me on some commercial jobs. But she too much of a distraction. i would cut a branch, she would kill it when it hit the ground, she would try and pull me out of the tree using my dangling climbing line.
lots of times id be working alone sometimes well after dark in a bad neighborhood and wad glade she was watching the truck so my stuff didnt get taking

Dogs on the job site? There are some of us who don't like dogs ... especially strange dogs on our property. Fortunately, they're not allowed to roam freely within our city limits. I don't wish any dog harm, I just don't want them around. I once had a contractor's employee bring along a non-working buddy to my house ... just for the company. I'll never use that contractor again, and depending on who's asking, I may speak poorly about said contractor. If a contractor brought a dog, I'd speak poorly to anyone who would listen, including the BBB.

I dunno.. it seems to the MDS that there are dog people, and then there is the dirty, woods hippy type dog lover. You know, the ones that are just annoying and disgusting about the whole dog loving thing.

No, I agree, keep your dog at home. And while we're on the subject,, please try and bring your kids out as little as possible too. Not everyone loves them as much as you. Just saying.:laugh:

I love my own dogs, they won't go on a job site ever! Some neighborhood dogs once stole my Dasani 20oz bottle and somehow knocked over our big 5 gal water jug... it was extremely hot and in no position to stop the job.... NO DOGS. Unless their the homeowners and we love them.

I've never had a dog and don't dislike the dogs that the employees have, it's just they are an unnecessary distraction and hazard. The are always having to keep them out of the way and keep track of them as they roam the property and neighborhood. I checked the local ordinances where we work and the law says they must be on leashes. I did think of the "what if I injure the dog" the other day when I was dropping big dead branches 50ft out of a cottonwood while there was a dog roaming underneath. Dogs can't hear "Headache!" I think they should stay back at the yard.

I dunno.. it seems to the MDS that there are dog people, and then there is the dirty, woods hippy type dog lover. You know, the ones that are just annoying and disgusting about the whole dog loving thing.

No, I agree, keep your dog at home. And while we're on the subject,, please try and bring your kids out as little as possible too. Not everyone loves them as much as you. Just saying.:laugh:

One of my former employers got pissed when his contract climber brought his kid to the job. This is after he told him not to the previous time. I agree it also looks unprofessional.

I use to take my dog with me on some commercial jobs. But she too much of a distraction. i would cut a branch, she would kill it when it hit the ground, she would try and pull me out of the tree using my dangling climbing line.
lots of times id be working alone sometimes well after dark in a bad neighborhood and wad glade she was watching the truck so my stuff didnt get taking
Pit?

Dogs on job sites generally get in the way and if they decide to take off then the whole job grinds to a halt as the search party is deployed, not great for bizness

The job site is a bit dangerous for a loose dog in my opinion.

Now if the employee wants to bring their girlfriend, we may be able to work something out.

Wood, woof!

No dogs on my work site, no exceptions, no way, Jose! You bring your dog, you go home. Any questions?

I used to take my dog everywhere with me, including jobsites, but he was made to either stay in the truck if it was cool out or on hot days he was allowed to lay under the truck where he could get in the shade and had access to his food and water. I never had a problem with him running off or getting in the way, he was trained to stay with the truck at all times and not to leave the truck until I told him it was ok. Hell I used to take him to Wal-Mart with me and could leave him in the truck with the windows down for a couple hours while I was inside and he would never try to jump out or anything like that. As far as the unprofessionalism of it I can see where if the dogs are running around and causing trouble then yes it would be a problem but if they are leashed to the truck out of the way then I don't see a problem with it. Of course where I'm from 90% of the people own dogs, when Blue was alive and going with me everyday, all my customers just loved him, and would come out to the truck as soon as we pulled up to say hello and give him a treat. But we are also a small business ran by just me and my wife, maybe an occasional extra hand if the job is too big for the two of us, in a small tight knit community where everyone knows everyone so that makes a difference as well.

Bryce

All this talk of dogs made me bring my dog to work with me today. Although I am an employer today rather than an employee. Also, Rocket is a terrier mix. He stays in the truck for the most part.

I Used to bring my Australian sheperd / heeler mix to work in the chip truck years ago. She loves coming with me but i feel its unprofessional so she stays home now.

so much depends on the dawgs composure my current 2 mutts no way dumb and dumber a few of my last no problem would help and win me bids by smootchin customers

my 1st crew 1981 and dear juliana she took care of all job site security & customer care

BN Stinky Runt & Cabana.jpg

No dogs on my work site, no exceptions, no way, Jose! You bring your dog, you go home. Any questions?

First post here, guys. I must agree with Sunrise Guy. I read the op regarding dogs on a tree job scamping in the boro and had me a chuckle....

Lol, not a chance. Dog can stay home. Before I got into forestry, I worked on a oil pipeline and one of the excavator operators would bring his chiwawa to work every day. Not only did it look incredibly gay, its a hazard because it could distract him while operating around a pipeline. I don't see any advantages, no thanks

Latest posts

Back