Timber Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might have something to do with it. Most fallers don't care much for working in the rigging.
I think the guys back east do that quite a bit...fall, run skidder, hook their own turns...on some of that high-dollar hardwood. Out here it would be hard to get enough production to make it pay.
If there's enough work for a full time faller he shouldn't have time...or the inclination...to do anything else.
Would training a new guy work out?
Members of small crews have to wear many hats to make it all pay off. Oilfield hands drop like flies, ranch hands-enough said. we did find a tree climber who is catching on quick. would take two more just like him and be patient. then i could cut 3 days a week and do whatever else needs to be done the other 2. I now there is a pony in here somewhere said the optimistic:lol: child

N.east side of ****-Buffalo and Tensleep are pretty close.Sorry-got wrapped up in cuttin' up some dog faced whitetail. They are worse than an over crowded yeller perch pond(4.5 yr.old buck w/120 rack will weigh 150lbs. live). Unlimited doe tags makes the freezer full. The residential deer tend to share gene pools. Elk and bear is already over unless you drew a spec. tag or know a senator.
what part of WY you working out of anyway?

That might have something to do with it. Most fallers don't care much for working in the rigging.
I think the guys back east do that quite a bit...fall, run skidder, hook their own turns...on some of that high-dollar hardwood. Out here it would be hard to get enough production to make it pay.
If there's enough work for a full time faller he shouldn't have time...or the inclination...to do anything else.
Would training a new guy work out?
Bob, if you ever come out to Kansas for any reason, I'd love to put you up at the house for a week, to take you on some ranches with me and give the PhD level of instruction. I'm not a faller and don't intend to be but I would love to expand y knowledge with some OJT via someone who's been-there and done-it with the scars to prove it...

it does sound like a decent job for the most part. we have tried to get a full time cutter out here in Wyoming for awhile now. as soon as you mention they will be expected to pull yarder line and pimp on the landing they quit callin'. we pay by the ton and they dont like that either but have been around alot of so-called fallers who need Mcdonalds job apps. i read all 3 pages for this thread and boot driers were brought up. has anyone ever had any luck with the propane styles. always wondered about the moisture propane gives off when i see them at Cabela's.
One thing I can say if you're paying for busheling basically you can't make it with a guy pulling the rigging and falling that might be why you can't keep a cutter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

One thing I can say if you're paying for busheling basically you can't make it with a guy pulling the rigging and falling that might be why you can't keep a cutter.

the faller makes 25-30% more than the choker setter on the days they fall. the other 2 days they make the same as everyone else. we supply the liquids(for saw)and one loop of chain every 2 weeks.

the faller makes 25-30% more than the choker setter on the days they fall. the other 2 days they make the same as everyone else. we supply the liquids(for saw)and one loop of chain every 2 weeks.
That may be good enough for guys like Gologit and RandyMac, but I won't even get out of bed for 15% more than a choker setter

What's a choker setter making?

What's a choker setter making?

$100.00 per day for newbies. if they make the cut we put 'em @ $2.00-2.50 per ton. We avg. 70 ton per day with the yarder and Christy carriage. The people we have come across a pretty green. The best hand we have found so far was a tree climber. He is learning how things work quickly and we are very glad we found him.we day pay him $125.00 (he has been w/ us for about 3 weeks). He is catching on to filing, how to set chokers, were to be when **** starts moving, etc. He is a keeper. The yarder will be up and running last week of Dec. and hopefully we find one more just like him, then we could run a three man rotation.

$100.00 per day for newbies. if they make the cut we put 'em @ $2.00-2.50 per ton. We avg. 70 ton per day with the yarder and Christy carriage. The people we have come across a pretty green. The best hand we have found so far was a tree climber. He is learning how things work quickly and we are very glad we found him.we day pay him $125.00 (he has been w/ us for about 3 weeks). He is catching on to filing, how to set chokers, were to be when **** starts moving, etc. He is a keeper. The yarder will be up and running last week of Dec. and hopefully we find one more just like him, then we could run a three man rotation.
Sorry but you couldn't get me out there for 15 an hour that's what a lot of the guys I know in the rigging are making here.

I'm curious about hours in the rigging. Cost of living in general can be pretty different too. I'd have a hard time doing anything in the woods for less than 25 per hour. I have a lot of mouths to feed tho. 5 kids, wife, two hounds, 16 chickens, 5 fish, and a fiddler crab. Me and the crab get the scraps when its all over.

Latest posts

Back