Rope/Friction Savers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been climbing for a few months and nobody I work with uses friction saving devices in the tree. I'm wondering if a lot of people in the industry go without or if this is just a quirk of the crew I work with. Do they take much extra time to install? Do they get stuck often? Should I get one? Thanks,

Geordie

ART ropeguide, most of our climbers have one, occasionally get stuck but not often, others have something similar or just basic large and small eye retrievable friction saver, we all use them for both removals and pruning.

They're good, saves effort moving around the tree, gives you an anchor point where there isn't one, saves damaging bark on valuable trees, most can be installed and retrieved from the ground(though can be complicated)

I have my own saddle, but my boss provides the rope, so wearing it out is on his dime. It's a small outfit, just 4 guys. My boss is also fairly impatient so I have a feeling taking extra time to set a rope/cambium saver (I guess I don't know the difference) would rankle. I'll take a look at that ART ropeguide.

I just watched a video for the ART ropeguide. It looks pretty cool. Is there a way to install it from the ground like simpler friction savers?

There is but never tried it from the ground, generally put it in once I'm at the top. Access is by throwline and then srt, footlocking or just climbing and advancing line

Yeah I just climb to my tip and put it around the stem. It nice having consistent friction otherwise its a little bump and go depending on the bark and crotch your through and stuff.

Back