porting 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbill91

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gonna try porting a 361 soon looking for pointers, never done a full port job, but i think i got the basics down, gonna start with a meadior piston an jug, rebuld a case barrings, seals exc. Not gonna mess with timing, but want the most tourq i can get. any advice?

The one im getting has no cylinder, tanks busted, i got plenty of parts for the 361 so im gonna kinda buld it from the ground up, i have one 361, i did a muffler mod, oiler mod cut the blockers off the carb ajustments,3/4 wrap handle, love the saw dont wanna tear i down to port it, its my ferst port job, is meteor a good jug to use? And for more compresson i use a thiner gaskit right? Or gaskit maker, and i dont quite understand the port timing

From what i gathered, squish is the distance between the piston and the top of the cylinder at tdc, how would i measure that, do i measure the piston at tdc and the inside the jug and go for a .020" or am i wrong about the squish, im not that good at gathering info from Reading

Cool thanks, I'll get back when i get into the build, i may need help on how much material to take out when i get started on the porting and making sure the timing is wright

Looking at original gaskit its prrty thin, to ajust squish do i take material off the bottom of the cylinder? havint received the cylinder yet but got a box of parts and old cylinder is there im wondering how you ajust the squish and thats about all i can come up with, maby take off enough material to set it at a .018" and take up the rest with a gaskit?

Got the cylinder and piston today, lookin to do a little bit on it just to widein the ports, if i remember right you can widen them to so far before the rings will pop Out and you use the size of the piston to know how far to go, how far should i widen them? 49mm piston?

Ok cool thanks, I'll widen as far as i can go, then I'll worry about squish, and any tips on the transfers what to use to get in there, i was gonna do what i can with a dremal and call it good, or should i worry about transfers?

No, The ports got to thinking about About the 70 % of bore being max width,got sidetracked, the transfers im still kinda stunted on, dont know what to use to get in there, Or to change the timing on them

Back