Potentially Aspiring Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmfrymier

Aspiring Arborist
Reaction score
Hello,

New to this community and seeking some advice from experienced arborists. I'm a 24-year-old student working toward a degree in communication. Recently I was made aware of the arborist field and am EXTREMELY interested. I've always really loved trees and the outdoors; this career sounds like a great fit.

However, I am enjoying my current course of study and would rather not change educational paths right now. I don't care if I find a career in "communication" specifically (any field uses communication anyway).

My main question is: how do I become an arborist without getting a bachelor in forestry?

Do I need any explicit and formal education to become an arborist? Can I seek ISA certification and TRAQ qualification without a specialized college degree? Is the first step becoming a groundsman?

I'm sure any responses will generate other questions, but I'd like to hear from some people in the field.

Thanks for any help given!

buy the Tree Climbers Companion. Inexpensive valuable resource.
Learn yer knots, grasshopper.
"A Pocket IPM Scouting Guide for Woody a Landscape Plants" by Diane Brown-Rytlewski is also inexpensive and excellent.

Why does everyone think you need a bachelor's degree to get into a specific field? It's rather depressing.

I highly suggest you pick up a copy of Arboriculture: integrated management of trees, shrubs and vines 4th edition by Richard Harris, James Clark and Nelda Matheny. I would also pick up a text on introductory botany, plant pathology and a general biology textbook for a better understanding of fundamental microbiology and genetics which will be important for having a better understanding of plant pathogens, such as: fungi, bacteria, viruses, etc. A text on physical geology can't hurt, as having an understanding of basic soil science and some knowledge of minerals and geological processes as they relate to soil/plants is extremely helpful and worth knowing. An understanding of the essentials of organic chemistry can be helpful as well.

You'll need to have a good understanding of knots and general rope use/care as well as general tree felling techniques and safety. Jeff Jepson's Knots at Work and To Fell a Tree are very good resources. There are also some good resources on rigging techniques available, check out some of the more popular companies that sell tree gear, they sell some pretty useful books and study resources.

Purchase some basic tree climbing gear and get some practice in through recreational tree climbing.

If you don't have much experience in using chainsaws, consider purchasing a text on safe chainsaw use and maintenance.

Pick up a few tree ID guides and practice until you don't need them anymore.

Why does everyone think you need a bachelor's degree to get into a specific field? It's rather depressing.

Sounds like he just want's the degree (cert's),,
What is depressing is all these people that have never climbed or dragged brush think ,,,um,,I am not sure what they think!
I know these guy's, they have never done anything but read and study and pass a simple multiple choice test and then become the boss of seasoned climber's,,,
Yeah, I got all my cert's, but I climbed for 28 years.
So that is what is depressing,,
Jeff

What is depressing is all these people that have never climbed or dragged brush think ,,,um,,I am not sure what they think!
I know these guy's, they have never done anything but read and study and pass a simple multiple choice test and then become the boss of seasoned climber's,,,
Jeff
How did I climb longer than you :dizzy:

The first question you need to answer for yourself is to see if you are capable of doing the work. You don't need a degree to do this work. Do you want to do production or sales? There is a big difference. I hired a number of people with forestry degrees but they all wanted to be "consultants" after spending less than a year in the field. There are many different areas you can go into without being a climber. The work can be very rewarding but it is also hard, difficult, tedious, frustrating, aggravating and overall sucks at times. You don't do this job for the money, you do it for the love. Res ipsa loquitur.

Having a strong work ethic, ability to learn quickly, and a good attitude are the most important attributes of a tree worker. You can learn everything on the job if you have several experienced arborists working with you. I have a forestry degree and it helps me understand trees better but is not directly linked to day-to-day work. A related degree does reduce the amount of on-the-job experience the ISA requires you to have to be eligible to take the Certified Arborist exam. Yes the first step is becoming a groundman. There's a lot to learn before progressing to climbing. Look up the thread how to be an excellent groundman. Climbers usually make great groundmen because they've already mastered all those skills unless they're one of those with the holier-than-thou complex.

Jeff

I don't just want a degree/certification. I just wanted to know whether I should get a degree. I want to experience the job first; I don't even know if I'll like the job yet. I'm just very interested at this point, which is why I'm looking for a job as a groundsman. The only reason I would get a degree as an arborist at this point would be to expand my knowledge of the science behind the skills.

Having a strong work ethic, ability to learn quickly, and a good attitude are the most important attributes of a tree worker. You can learn everything on the job if you have several experienced arborists working with you. I have a forestry degree and it helps me understand trees better but is not directly linked to day-to-day work. A related degree does reduce the amount of on-the-job experience the ISA requires you to have to be eligible to take the Certified Arborist exam. Yes the first step is becoming a groundman. There's a lot to learn before progressing to climbing. Look up the thread how to be an excellent groundman. Climbers usually make great groundmen because they've already mastered all those skills unless they're one of those with the holier-than-thou complex.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks!

To repeat others- get your hands dirty with the work for a couple weeks first. The vids always look fun, but in reality it's a boatload of hard work- dragging limbs, lugging logs by hand, lifting heavy loads, running machinery, dealing with loud noises, sharpening chains, spilling fuel and oil on yourself, getting sawdust inside your clothing, being terrified or in danger on a regular basis, dealing with customers who want you to do the impossible. And then do it all in the heat of summer and cold of winter.

I love doing my couple dozen tree jobs a year, but I wouldn't want to do it full time.

Back