Teach me everything you know about logging and forestry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno. On my invented Make A Logger Fat day, I took out chocolate bunnies that were left for office people who were trying not to be fat. One guy was in awe and almost in tears and said he had never had a chocolate bunny. I explained the protocol for eating the ears first. That's what we grumpy foresters do--try to explain things.

CW--If you follow through with this, you will be entering a realm of plain talk. Words are not minced. If somebody yells at you to get out of the way, you get out of the way and ask why at a better, calmer time. Don't move without asking if it is OK. I heard a hooktender leave his crew with this advice, "If you have any questions, don't do it." Chances are you're going to be teased. Either give it back or be quiet about it. A well developed Stink Eye is a good skill to have.

It's the land of high testosterone, but they do like freshly baked cookies and chocolate bunnies.

some posters sure seem to want to upturn the applecart... ;)

Snowmobiles fer me... skiing just looks like a good way to break a knee and sweat a bunch on yer day off... not that snowmobiles are easy, but your sure go faster doing it...

you are right! skiing is a good way to break a leg!... however, that's why there is Rule # 1. :D "Ski In Control!" and its all over the mountain(s)....

I have been skiing since it was taught on tv Thursday nite at 7:30... on Seattle tv channel: "Let's Go Skiing!"

to me, its kinda like running a saw... if u don't know what you are doing, just leave it alone... until you do!!!

Clearly you do care that I don't like your approach - and so you should, as it will be clear to most readers that what I've said makes sense

You're obviously looking for someone to hand you a solution on a plate, and without getting up from your keyboard

As noted, this is lazy and half-arsed and won't result in anything other than a facile understanding of the field

You need to talk to people in the region where your story is set, and see for yourself what the job is about - and you'll also need to ensure that people from the industry proof your script

And for what it's worth, I write for a living ...

So you've got a script to write, and that includes scenes about logging (in some form or other)

And instead of doing some work, you fire up the internet and type "I'm writing a screenplay about logging & I need to know everything there is to know!"

And having done that, you then wonder why someone out there might consider this lazy and half-arsed ...
I don't know what is your problem.
Everybody try to help. you are the only one with negative position here. Why?
If you can't help just seat back and relax. Lat others do the help here.

Amen! catch a swinging log, limb... and you will da*n sure know u have feelings! "ouch!, dang, that hurt!!!"

Seriously, don't even jokingly mention catching a swinging log. There have been at least a couple of on the job deaths when young guys, new to the work, have tried to stop a log that was swinging in the air when the log came into the landing. Not hurt, but killed. The log always wins.

can't like that one,

Last year about this time a kid got killed near Morton doing just that.

one of my distant familly? not sure which, was tending hook when the chaser tried to catch a shotgun carriage that something broke on, kids skull went through his hat... not pretty

can't like that one,

Last year about this time a kid got killed near Morton doing just that.

one of my distant familly? not sure which, was tending hook when the chaser tried to catch a shotgun carriage that something broke on, kids skull went through his hat... not pretty

That's probably one of them that I read about in our local paper. There was another when the kid was trying to stop a log that was still hooked up and moving.

Last year was rough as far as deaths and accidents...

Half wonder if its because of the uptick in new logging, and therefore younger less experienced crews?

btw heading to chehalis this morn... ritchie bros auction tomorrow, gots a couple excavators I'm interested in.

Last year was rough as far as deaths and accidents...

Half wonder if its because of the uptick in new logging, and therefore younger less experienced crews?

btw heading to chehalis this morn... ritchie bros auction tomorrow, gots a couple excavators I'm interested in.

What excavators are you looking at?

I am hoping to head in to Chehalis, hopefully today, maybe tomorrow. I took my trailer in for a repair. The repair did not work plus the guy mentions fixing a part that does not exist on the trailer. I called the factory to confirm it does not exist. Waiting for a phone call back from the repair place.....

Think B..L.. did say west side of Kent or SeaTac in earlier post. Moved bck from Texas ? BTW, ArthurB is NOT an avatar or relation of mine <G>

'morning ArtB ~ Burien area... that would be west of Kent, well across the valley there, but further N. when I grew up in the area... sea-tac was just the airport. now it is the community just N of the S bound runways... etc... over to 124th and W of 99 amd military road... and demoines way... I like this thread cause it has a lot of WA state posts... great forestry pix of the Cascades... only the Cascades look like the Cascades... :)

Latest posts

Back