Teach me everything you know about logging and forestry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome videos!!!!!! I couldn't find anything like this on Youtube when I was searching. Fantastic--thank you!!!

Check out "logger Wade" on YouTube. His operation is in southern Indiana, you won't see any caulks or yarders and you will expand your vocabulary of profane words but otherwise a lot of the same stuff. Midwest stuff is worth about 10 times as much per unit of volume and usually working on flatter, less remote ground but ultimately it's about cutting trees and getting them to market. And if you get really interested, look for a "logging with horses" video

Check out "logger Wade" on YouTube. His operation is in southern Indiana, you won't see any caulks or yarders and you will expand your vocabulary of profane words but otherwise a lot of the same stuff. Midwest stuff is worth about 10 times as much per unit of volume and usually working on flatter, less remote ground but ultimately it's about cutting trees and getting them to market. And if you get really interested, look for a "logging with horses" video
They use mules here sometimes.

YES, Oregon/Washington... haven't decided on which yet.
Don't forget Mossyrock, downstream from Morton, well named!
And don't forget the research into the aftermath of St Helens if you pick that area. I can cut alder firewood now and still find ash in notches of trees 35 years later!
Note: sure others have thought this, and no disrespect, but if I were single, would not mind showing you around the woods ?

No offense, but I didn't ask you about screenwriting. I'm asking for information about logging. I don't care if you don't like my approach! When is the last time you wrote anything of significance?

careful!!! he just might say: "Significance? why, everything I write and post here on the AS is significant!!"

--------------------------

:laughing: LOL, so sorry ~ just couldn't resist!!! man, what a set up... purr - fect! ;)

Hello! Yes, I am a screenwriter, and no, I'm not a logger. The story isn't all about logging, it's a drama/thriller that takes place in a logging town. A lot of writers don't take the time to research their subjects and end up putting inaccurate information up on the screen. This has happened millions of times and led people to believe false information! But I appreciate your concern ;)

Twin Peaks Revisited ?

have you written and posted here a one paragraph theme as to the plot of your logging town drama/thriller?...

And don't forget the research into the aftermath of St Helens if you pick that area. I can cut alder firewood now and still find ash in notches of trees 35 years later!
Note: sure others have thought this, and no disrespect, but if I were single, would not mind showing you around the woods ?

>and still find ash in notches of trees 35 years later!

that is amazing!! been on many Alder firewood excursions... Renton, WA... some town's names just make me smile! :D am from up on the hill over by 99 and sea-tac area...

I'm not single, but I'd show ya around the woods, I'm just not part of a yarder crew, just a dumb gyppo with no money to hire help....

few machine brands to either google image search, or youtube...

Timberjack skidders

John Deere skidders loaders etc

Caterpillar et al

Garrett/Can-Car/TreeFarmer/Franklin all the same skidder

Skagit yarders, yoders, winches, towers (pronounced ska-jit not sure if its native or just someone with no teeth?)

Washington yarders

Madill yarders, loaders

Berger yarders

Tigercat all sorts of forestry stuff... mostly modern grapple stuff

Christi (y?) yarders and a bitchin carriage

Thunderbird yarders loaders

Skylead

Koller

KMC some bitchin tracked skidders that look a little like tanks with blades on the front... just a nightmare for maintenance

Lots of good stuff out there....

Some where's in Arboristsite, there is a glossary of logging terms/slang, probably in the forestry and logging forum as well... someone will put up a link I'm sure.

Clearly you do care that I don't like your approach - and so you should, as it will be clear to most readers that what I've said makes sense You're obviously looking for someone to hand you a solution on a plate, and without getting up from your keyboard As noted, this is lazy and half-arsed and won't result in anything other than a facile understanding of the field You need to talk to people in the region where your story is set, and see for yourself what the job is about - and you'll also need to ensure that people from the industry proof your script And for what it's worth, I write for a living ...

naw!!! imo, u r a bit off base. nothing wrong with someone who is pure novice to all about anything related to all aspects of logging, etc... to join a site like this, spark up some conversation... and listen to the the posts, silence and noise! pick out then what suits them... investigate this and that further... and learn.

its all about learning... and there are many ways to do that.

So you've got a script to write, and that includes scenes about logging (in some form or other) And instead of doing some work, you fire up the internet and type "I'm writing a screenplay about logging & I need to know everything there is to know!" And having done that, you then wonder why someone out there might consider this lazy and half-arsed ...

>And instead of doing some work,

oh please!! :rolleyes:

...you may not feel like contributing anything proactive or constructive... but this thread reads like: "Hey, glad u wrote us, sure... we will be happy to help you...!"

snide comments and politics aside...

>And having done that, you then wonder why someone out there might consider this lazy and half-arsed

again, oh please!! what do u think ur non-encouraging posts are going to do?... run her off? :laughing:

:ices_rofl: LMAO!

If you are serious, and I doubt that, I would suggest Morton, WA as a good, depressing town. It already had some kind of a zombie movie filmed there.
It has two MILLS, not lumber yards, one is a large cedar operation, the other a large mill that takes Doug-fir only. There are still a few loggers around the place. It has the true, depressed looking main street. I'm not sure if the bar with the pole dancing is open. I think they got shut down. Log trucks roll through town every few minutes, and the town has a big celebration coming up called the logger's jubilee.

Other locations would be the Longview/Kelso/Rainier area, or Vernonia or ??? Woods Logging and Cowlitz River Rigging would be good places to hang out in. Both are close to each other in Longview, WA.

The mills are scarcer now as are the loggers. Go find a tavern with some beat up looking crew cab pickups parked in front--those will also have a fuel tank in the bed and lots of stuff, go in, and start your research. I haven't been in our local eating establishment for a while, but they've had logging term glossaries on their menus for a long time.

opinions are just that! opinions... what is wrong with reading the menu posted on the window next to the front door... and eating at the place across the street??

:popcorn2:

meh even if it is its furthering more conversation about logging in a posotive light

>even if it is its furthering more conversation about logging in a posotive light

imo, its one of the best threads on logging here on the AS I have come across of late... many posts are simply really good! :yes: very pro-active. constructive, helpful and contributing...

One last thing, before I go for now...

Loggers in general are a cagey and paranoid lot, (when ma nature is tryin to kill you 6-12 hours a day, tweekers are stealing your saws and the bunny huggers are trying to take yer job 24-7 its makes one a little paranoid and careful)

So be straight forward and honest with them, unless yer making fun of someone then all bets are off... and be warned PNW loggers don't mince words if it needs said and someone needs set straight they don't waste time on "feelings" especially if lives are on the line.

as presented, I think OP has and is... as in: "Can anyone help me?...."

it's already on page 6! :)

Latest posts

Back