Husqvarna 350 vs stihl ms 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No face 243

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a stihl ms 250 and am picking up a husky 350, I am wondering what saw will be better what one can have a bigger bar, I have an 015 with a 16 inch bar. I just want to have the better saw, aside from wanting both a stihl and a husky saw. Please help

The 350 will be the strongest saw. But both the 250 stihl and the350 hushy are clamshell motors. The 250s came either 3/8lp picco or .325 in my area and the 350 was .325. I think 18" is the max for the 350 and the 250 would be happier with a 16"max just my 2cs.

My 250 has an 18 inch bar on it and it's .325 I was thinking stick with the 350, plus it's going to be a project so that might be nicer too.

I have both. The 350 is the superior saw on many counts; power, vibes filtration. I just don't like the plastic half crankcase and the poor intake boot clamp, both of which make the saw prone to air leaks which has caused the death of many of these. Change over the intake clamp to the metallic version and use high strength loctite on the case screws and the problems usually go away. They can also take a 346XP top end if you want to build a sleeper.
If run correctly 250's are arguably more reliable than the 350 (in stock form) however the inboard clutch set up in a plastic crank case can be an issue. When the brake is left on too long the heat generated will result in molten case.
If I had to choose it would probably be the 350 and make the above adjustments.

Don't sell the 250 keep it you my need it! Ever get one stuck in the cut? Do not yank on it you can cause air leaks in the boots and seals. Use the other saw to get the one stuck out and learn to reed the cut. I am still learning.

I just picked up an 041 last night and am picking up a 288xp tomo. I still have my 015 and homelite super 2. So I'm lookin at getting rid of my 250.

That is so true, I don't heat with a fireplace or wood stove yet but when I'm at my parents I always try to get in on splitting some wood. Plus these saws are enjoyable to work on

Back