100 octane gas will "burn up" saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running VP-110 because that's what's readily available. It is $5.89 per gallon but I don't go through that much, so I'm ok with the price.
From VP's web site:

VP-110
Not your "standard" 110! Highest rated MON of any 110 fuel on the market. Formulated for use in naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to approximately 12:1-13:1. Works well in 2-strokes. Good lower cost alternative.
Color: Purple
Motor Octane 107
Research Octane: 113
R+M/2: 110
Specific Gravity: .720-.735 @ 60° F

All I'm really looking for is a fuel that I can get easy and is ethonal free. I'm still not sure about the whole lead thing, I know, a little is too much.

Local bike shop sells the VP C12 in a 5gal pail for $65 +tax:jawdrop:
That IS too much for me!!!

I did speak with a VP guy today named Jason.

He did push the C12 over the C10.

The C12 is supposed to start better in cold weather. Also mentioned extreme shelf life of 7 years, plus.

The price he gave me was around $3.65/gallon for a 30 gallon drum.

The price doesn't sound too bad. Planning to call around in the next couple of days and see what I can find out.

And here I was not planning to change from AV fuel.:dizzy:

I did speak with a VP guy today named Jason.

He did push the C12 over the C10.

The C12 is supposed to start better in cold weather. Also mentioned extreme shelf life of 7 years, plus.

The price he gave me was around $3.65/gallon for a 30 gallon drum.

The price doesn't sound too bad. Planning to call around in the next couple of days and see what I can find out.

And here I was not planning to change from AV fuel.:dizzy:

That's alot better price, hell I'd buy a 30 gallon drum for that price!!!

I've run alot of CAM2 110 octane(smells soooo good!). I don't notice my saws running any better than on the Sunoco race gas 100 octane or for that matter any better than Sunoco 93 pump gas. Hm. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention. Anymore I tend to fill up my saw-can w/ 100 octance race gas just because it's all in my head and I when I think it runs better, I feel better:hmm3grin2orange:
-Chad

Maybe I didn't hear the VP guy correctly.

I do have a couple of calls in to some local distributors.

We'll see what they say.

Any engine will run it's best on the lowest octane that it can safely run on. Higher octane is a waste unless you have enough cylinder pressure that you require higher octane fuel.

The experts are all pretty much saying the same thing, octane isn't the most important factor in a fuel blend. It's only one spoke in the wheel. It's primary function is to inhibit detonation.

Personally, I think since octane is the only number widely available to the general public, and the public familiarity with premium grades having higher octane, octane rating has become the defacto standard in which we, (meaning the general public), judge fuel quality. To me, it's tantamount to the chocolate content of a candy bar. One has more chocolate than another, but that doesn't mean either is a really good bar. What makes a good candy bar is a combination of all the ingredients and how they're made. You know, I like Three Musketeers and peanut butter cups, but the differences between them are significant. It looks like the same is true for gas.

Speaking from the point of Australian fuels...

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that higher octane will give more power in standard, non-modified 2 stroke engines. Our fuels in Australia however are probably quite different to yours. We have 91 octane standard unleaded and 95 or 98 octane Premium Unleaded available at basically all fuel stations.
I run 98 octane premium in all my 2 stroke engines - not because it gives you more grunt direct, but because it is higher quality fuel with more additives. All my vehicles are diesel at the moment but in previous petrol cars I used nothing but 98 Octane Premium. It helped keep injectors clean, improved power and fuel economy with the timing advanced etc etc.
My belief however in a 2 stroke saw (particularly hotshots like the 5100-S) is that the higher octane will give you a buffer if for some reason the saw begins to lean out (dirty filter etc). I'm pretty sure the 3120 could run on any fuel you throw at it and not have a problem :)
Could be wrong but...

Speaking from the point of Australian fuels...

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that higher octane will give more power in standard, non-modified 2 stroke engines. Our fuels in Australia however are probably quite different to yours. We have 91 octane standard unleaded and 95 or 98 octane Premium Unleaded available at basically all fuel stations.
<snip>

Except our fuels use the RON scale, and the US uses AKI, so our 98 is roughly equivalent to their 93/94. ;)

otherwise I agree and only use BP Ultimate or Shell Vortex.

Except our fuels use the RON scale, and the US uses AKI, so our 98 is roughly equivalent to their 93/94. ;)

otherwise I agree and only use BP Ultimate or Shell Vortex.

Ah ha. Learn something new every day :) They do seem to have a lot more ethanol in the states though.

No idea what it does to the fuel, but IMO it works.

I take care of my inlaws motorhome and last timesummer they came home with about 75 gallons of gasoliner in it. I put stabil in it so that it woud be good to go till this summer. I also put some in some gas when a mistake was made causeing me to make several gallons of mix, which I have been useing throughout the winter. I just wanted to know why he thinks it doesn't work. It seems to be doing ok in both the moptor home and the mix cans.

I absolutely did misunderstand the price.

It should have been $365.00 for a 30 gallon drum.

Yikes!!:jawdrop:

I have found a place where I can get it for a little over $10.00/gallon if a 54 gallon drum is purchased.

Looks like 100LL AV fuel is where I'll be for now.

I've got a landscaper guy telling me that the 100 octane "jet fuel" that I'm running will burn up my saws. I don't understand how this could be, but I wanted to run it by you guys just to be safe. The only reason I buy 100 is to get actual gasoline and not ethanol. Is there any way excessive octane could hurt an engine? I mean the answer has to be "no" right?

(By the way, I didn't bother to explain to this guy that Jet A is nothing more than glorified kerosene)

old thread but worth reviving

high octane gas just burns SLOWER, it actually has less energy than low octane fuel- lower octane burns quickly to the point that in a high compression engine, it explodes and self-ignites, creating several flame fronts, which is known as detonation/ping.

a high compression engine will derive more top end horsepower from the higher squeeze ratio, but requires the high octane fuel to do it, to avoid the spark knock

so if you engine is 9:1 compression or less, you really don't gain anything from the high octane fuel- it costs more, and will actually provide less power in a low compression engine, than a low octane fuel would

the only possible advantage would be, high octane fuel often has additives which will clean the fuel system and valves

but to answer your first statement, no, high octane won't burn up your saw- it will just cost you more money, and make a little less power, because it's burning a little slower- but it may be so marginal, you may not even notice.

For me, the casual user, the point is that 100LL has a shelf life that is something like 20 years....vs. a few months for pump gas.

I buy Av fuel. Run it in all small engines and all 20 of our saws. Mix it all with good oil and have had no problems. They start better after sitting and run good and clean. Some of my good junk is 30 some years old and that's all that has ever been in it. So you figure it out I should have a bunch of burned up saws, but to this day(knock on wood) all of um are stihl getting it.

For me, the casual user, the point is that 100LL has a shelf life that is something like 20 years....vs. a few months for pump gas.

what kills the modern pump gas, is the alcohol additive to reduce emissions- the alky separates out of the mixture, and it starts looking like tomato soup after a few months

the alky also eats the rubber seals out of the carburetors quickly

add sta-bil to it, and it will last longer

the problem with 100 octane is, it costs about $6-$8/gallon now

regular is bad enough at $2.59/gallon

a good rule of thumb for octane requirement is, move the decimal point one digit, when comparing compression to octane requirement

example: 90 octane gas can support 9:1 compression

100 octane gas can support 10:1 compression

93 octane gas can support 9.3 compression

Back