359 vs 357

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh 0619

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
looking for input. Have both 357& 359 want to have one ported. I've heard very mixed reviews, torque is better than rpm for my needs.. Thanks in advance

Everything I've read seems to suggest that the 359 is most improved after porting. That doesn't mean it takes the cake over the 357. From what I've read the 359 seems to have a wider torque band than the 357 but it seems like there are more people getting a 359 ported than the 357. Idk if that helps. I have a MMWS ported 2159 with an 18" bar. It makes me smile.

357 is definitely an rpm machine, amd ive heard the same as marshy regarding gains after porting and 359 being a little less peaky in terms of power. I doubt either will leaveyou dissatisfied

Sounds like what i've read, so i boxed up a 359 contacted the porter and he said he liked the stuffed 357 better. I have a few of each saw and just opening the lower transfers on the 359 gets it real close to the 357

Sounds like what i've read, so i boxed up a 359 contacted the porter and he said he liked the stuffed 357 better. I have a few of each saw and just opening the lower transfers on the 359 gets it real close to the 357
I wouldn't argue with the porter. Send him what he likes! Especially if you can choose from either.

I have a 357 ported by me and let me tell you, it does like RPM. BUT, it will take leaning on the dogs like a boss! I see no downside whatsoever with a ported 357.

I also own a 359. I have not ported it, but just did a base gasket delete and lower transfer beveling. That saw runs quite well indeed, it has a very wide torque curve and lugs very well. But having said that, I put quite a bit of time on my 357 when it was stock and I will say that the stock 357 is still stronger than my 359 as it sits currently set up with the BG delete and lower transfer work.

Although I have not compared a ported 357 and 359 done by the same person, it seems to go against common sense to say that a saw that starts out less powerful than the other in stock form will run stronger when both are ported if the mods are as close to equal as can be made.

Go with the 357, you won't be disappointed. Nothing against a 359 though, I love mine.

I heard a very reputable builder comment on this subject. He said he's never been able to make a 359 stronger or faster than the 357. I do have a friend who has both (ported by different guys). They are very different animals. The 359 has the torque for sure but the speed of the 357 is brutal.

I heard a very reputable builder comment on this subject. He said he's never been able to make a 359 stronger or faster than the 357. I do have a friend who has both (ported by different guys). They are very different animals. The 359 has the torque for sure but the speed of the 357 is brutal.
Sounds spot-on to me

Back