543xp ? 550xp? 545?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New to the forum, I work at a cemetary taking care of the grounds, also do a little landscaping on the side. Need a saw for occasional clean up at work. Looking for a very lightweight husky saw with a high power to weight. I might cut a few small trees here and there 10" diameter about. Also going to help my grandfather and uncle with a few cord of firewood up to 18" diameter. a few months.
I have looked at the 543xp and it seems like a nice saw after broken in and a few tanks of fuel (according to a thread on here) and a little screamer. Also looked at the 545 which seems like a slightly detuned 550xp, but around 150$ less. Are the 550xp and 545 overkill for my needs? Is autotune better than regular adjustable carb? The 555 seems like a steal at almost the 550xp's price, Or will the 543xp be fine? I need help narrowing down what saw to get... Mason

Is the 550xp really worth the extra 100$ over the 545? What's the real difference between the two, seems like they have nearly the same engine? The 543xp wouldn't pull a 16" buried in wood? Mason

Is the 550xp really worth the extra 100$ over the 545? What's the real difference between the two, seems like they have nearly the same engine? The 543xp wouldn't pull a 16" buried in wood? Mason

The obvious choise is the 550xp. The price difference is minor vs. the 545, specially per year the saw will normally last. The xp models always are worth it. Nothing wrong with the 545, it just isn't the 550xp.

The 543xp is too much down on power, vs. loss of weight - and it isn't a true Swedish Husky (it is made by Zenoah).

The obvious choise is the 550xp. The price difference is minor vs. the 545, specially per year the saw will normally last. The xp models always are worth it. Nothing wrong with the 545, it just isn't the 550xp.

The 543xp is too much down on power, vs. loss of weight - and it isn't a true Swedish Husky (it is made by Zenoah).
That is a good point per year it is a small price to pay. Now I have noticed max tool.com has the 550xp for 549.99 free shipping, with 18 inch bar, is it worth it to save 50.00$ online , or go to a dealer and have their support? If I bought online would my local dealer honor the warranty should anything come up? I don't want to be screwed.

The best dealer support you can get will come from site sponsor Spike60!
So if I message him, if a problem ever arises he will help with warrantee parts ect? I doubt little will go wrong being an xp saw, I just don't want to be screwed

That is a good point per year it is a small price to pay. Now I have noticed max tool.com has the 550xp for 549.99 free shipping, with 18 inch bar, is it worth it to save 50.00$ online , or go to a dealer and have their support? If I bought online would my local dealer honor the warranty should anything come up? I don't want to be screwed.

I would buy locally if you have a really good local dealer - or contact Spike60.

Yeah I think I could save 60$+ over retail buying from max tool and contact spike60 if a issue ever arises, the husky dealer nearest is mainly a stihl dealer and only carry stihl chainsaws, along with 2 husky snowblowers LOL

I'm not against stihl, but the comparable ms261 is way overpriced

Yeah I think I could save 60$+ over retail buying from max tool and contact spike60 if a issue ever arises, the husky dealer nearest is mainly a stihl dealer and only carry stihl chainsaws, along with 2 husky snowblowers LOL
Why should Bob do your warranty work if you choose to buy from someone else? Buy the saw from him. His price is probably as good as what you're looking at.

Why should Bob do your warranty work if you choose to buy from someone else? Buy the saw from him. His price is probably as good as what you're looking at.

Not that spike60 would,This is hypothetical question.

Why would a dealer turndown warranty work, Regardless of where the saw was bought?

Not that spike60 would,This is hypothetical question.

Why would a dealer turndown warranty work, Regardless of where the saw was bought?[/QUOTE They shouldn't, but I am able to get a really good deal on a dolmar 5105, they seem about equal to the 550 but far cheaper . The only negative is that it is about a pound heavier. But that does not really concern me

Back