661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were referring to .040 buildup of carbon which is huge. They are running stock equpiment obviously. Wouldnt work in a ported saw running .020 cleareance
0.040 huge? The thickness of a human hair is 0.004. So ten human hairs equals 0.040 of an inch.

What I found more interesting in the article was their explanation of using heavy oil vs lighter oils in air cooled engines and the temp. Differences on the piston required to evaporate and combust the oil and causes incomplete burning of the oil. The right oil for the application? Think I have heard that about 300 times in this thread?
So you're still wanting to use R50? Viscosity double of R2?

So you're still wanting to use R50? Viscosity double of R2?
Thats what Bwalker has said since the start of the thread. In the right application you need it r50, 800t and in general firewood cutting r2 will be just fine. The oil burns more completely. Same thing the Maxima tech gave a reason for their thinner viscosity oil when I called a year ago

K2 will be fine for any of these saws except on nitro. I'm going to get some yamalube when I get home and hit the local bike shop up.
My k2 will be here today. Im no doubt sticking with k2 or r2 in mtronics and r50 in my big cc ported saws in the summer cutting bigwood

FWIW.. Took Levi's 025 apart last week and got a crappy pic..
History:
Saw has been in use with a fixed jet carb for 2 years doing general limbing and wood cutting duty.
Maybe 50 tanks of fuel since we had it. Not one of the heavy users.
First year stihl ultra, then switched to Lucas this last year.
40:1
Nice pool of oil in bottom of pan, clean and wet bearings, just a tick of carbon on the crown mostly on exhaust side, and ring grooves clear.
Most of the machine marks are still evident on the skirts, 154psi comp.
Running fine, but Levi wanted to make a couple mods to it.

025guts.jpg

FWIW.. Took Levi's 025 apart last week and got a crappy pic..
History:
Saw has been in use with a fixed jet carb for 2 years doing general limbing and wood cutting duty.
Maybe 50 tanks of fuel since we had it. Not one of the heavy users.
First year stihl ultra, then switched to Lucas this last year.
40:1
Nice pool of oil in bottom of pan, clean and wet bearings, just a tick of carbon on the crown mostly on exhaust side, and ring grooves clear.
Most of the machine marks are still evident on the skirts, 154psi comp.
Running fine, but Levi wanted to make a couple mods to it.

View attachment 427468
That's why I insisted that redbull660 remove a cylinder once. Exhaust port doesn't tell the whole story.

Well, whatever is in tru fuel smells "ok" and is reddish in color..
Cobey runs it exclusively in his stuff with good results, and I can detect a real unique scent from it.

Latest posts

Back