661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering what ratio is better. It appears that 32:1 is trending.

Well, considering that that the strato saws use less fuel, upward of what, 20%? One would think that you would at least have to go with 40:1 to get the same lubrication as with a standard pre-EPA saw at 50:1. That is one of several reasons I flipped to using 3oz./per gal. in my mixed fleet of saws (strato and non-strato, and some older Jreds I got my hands on that want 32:1). Oops, are some of my saws missing from my list here?

Of course this thread has gone the way of the phucktards, ghay bashers and troller posts, I think your suck start photo is a perfect fit. Now everybody put your oiled up throbbing members back in your pants or they are gonna lock this thread up... again!

gay oil.jpg

Note: Pennzoil uses this article as an advertising brochure. The last paragraph is a lot like an advertisement, but I thought the article in general was quite informative. I am not advocating the use of Pennzoil, nor is this an advertisement for them. This article is quite relevant wether or not you decide to use Pennzoil.

This is at the bottom of that link. So once again we're stuck with opinions. Your efforts are appreciated though.

No so sure about that.

The combustion process and its byproducts are basically a given.
Each individual tunes to produce desired results
Some desire every little last drop of power
Some desire longevity

I dont mind a little carbon on the piston tops, but I preferr clean.
I believe clean is better, and nobody will convince me otherwise
When tuned to run clean, my saws run cool and have never given me any problems.
When they were producing carbon, I had to swap plugs a few times, some due to carbon nuggets getting wedged between the sparkplug ground and electrode
If them nuggets can get in the plug gap, they can also get into the rings and the ring lands ................
I preferr no carbon, thank you.
No damage is being done, and whatever is washing the piston tops and cylinders is leaving a nice oily residue ................ cant say that when I was making carbon.
If I want every last ounce of performance, I will tune for it .............. but my saws aint cutting cookies, they are working and making me cabbage
That washing is also washing oil of the cylinder walls. Liquid pre mix is. A terrible lubricant.
It's funny that you guys will argue for Yeats which 70cc saw is best, then tune so rich that any advantage goes out the window.

I agree, but most run way rich from what I can tell. That's why Autotune and Mtronic are a good thing..
Yeah.. I'd run more on the edge if I weren't cutting in 100 degree temps..
Now in cool weather, I can tune proper, and the saws seem to love it..
No overheating at all..
Barring some other issue..
But I ain't lost one yet..

Remove carbon buildup on the piston crown after a 0.040 buildup! That doesn't seem like much.
What I found more interesting in the article was their explanation of using heavy oil vs lighter oils in air cooled engines and the temp. Differences on the piston required to evaporate and combust the oil and causes incomplete burning of the oil. The right oil for the application? Think I have heard that about 300 times in this thread?

They were referring to .040 buildup of carbon which is huge. They are running stock equpiment obviously. Wouldnt work in a ported saw running .020 cleareance
Then everyone that has a ported saw with a cut squish should be concerned with carbon buildup. Especially if they only have 0.020 clearance left!

Back