ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Arborist School?

Discussion in 'Commercial Tree Care and Climbing' started by Roll Tide, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Roll Tide

Roll Tide Trolltide

Hello everyone Im over in the chainsaw forums of the site but wanted to jump over here and ask a question. Is there a credited place or school I can go to , to become a Arborist? I would love to get into this line of work but have no climbing time under my belt.Anyone with any suggestions would be great thanks alot.

2. sgreanbeans

sgreanbeans Treeaculterologist

I dont think they have them anymore. Univ of Ill, did it, years ago. Our big show, the dad, has on from 1974. I know that they have programs at some university's that have classes on it, but I don't think that there is a graduate program anywhere. There should be. I would love to go.

Ask the elders we must, Master Jedi will answer, this they will.

fur dis, I summon JPS

3. Jed1124

Jed1124 AboristSite Guru

I am currently enrolled in a 13 week course given by the CTPA (Connecticut Tree Protective Association). They call it Arborculture 101 but I guess you could refer to it as arborist school. They don't cover climbing specifically but things like tree biology,IPM, tree pests and diseases,cabling and bracing to name a few. So far I have to say I love the class. A local community college in our area also gives a aboriculture class. I would start with any state arborist associations you may have and then check with the local community colleges. Maybe TCIA? Good luck.

4. Tree Pig

Tree Pig A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic

Look up Arbormasters if your looking for climbing, cutting, rigging style training. If your looking for the schooling to make you a "certified" there are schools that do it. One up here for us is Umass Amherst, I am sure there are plenty more. Try Jed1's suggestion and check with your local Arb authority or the ISA.

5. Roll Tide

Roll Tide Trolltide

Im first looking for climbing , cutting , rigging training first then look into certification. Thank yall very much yall have been alot of help.

6. mikehole

mikehole New Member