Axes for wedging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 481161 image.jpeg image.jpeg This is this my working axe, 2.3 kg or 5 lbs, it's sharp & has to be able to cut & release a bar pinched in a decent sized log or limb, as I only carry one saw on the machine, they have to have a nice slender end profile so they stick in the end grain of a stump & then you rest the CS bar against them while the chain is sharpened on the saw, not as good for driving wedges as a sledge hammer but its multipurpose, I picked the unground head up at market for $5.
That's a 14lb sledge in one of the pics for comparison.
Fanski

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 57
@Bwildered
Cool axe, great deal. It even has the continent outline on it. Different strokes for different folks. I have never filed my axe but then again we aren't dealing with the same wood. Many fallers don't in the western hemisphere but I think it's something thats was past down from the elders way before my time. Gologit and others would have move history on it. Obviously its developed from trending accidents I would think. Not a big fan of the vertical hammer loop as it slaps your leg all day as well when you fall through holes its easy to bust ribs for sure. Cutting yourself would be the other concern.
Horizontal "6 O'clock" draws would definitely eliminate slicing yourself open and breaking ribs. A sheath is not practical for Production. Since weight is not a factor for you then have you considered a stump vice? They weigh about one pound.

Since this got resurrected:

re, fwiw:
"in the woods for just over 6 yrs now and all the axes that I've bought from the stores have made the wedge flex therefore not driving straight due to the curved head"

I was going to say to OP another 6 years and you will be able to hit the wedge square! Now it is down to 5-1/2 years <G>

There was an old movie about the golden spike, doubt a true story but Dr Durant or someone of similar hierarchy of one of the railroads was scheduled to take a swing at one of the final spikes. Only one bigwig to hit the spike with a spike hammer (1-5/8 dia head, 18" long double head, 8# if you have never hefted one)
Story in the movie was he was saying the other railroad did not drive all their spikes all the way in, so the hero's sidekick in the movie forced (at the point of a .45 peacemaker) the bigwig to walk a few miles of track and set any loose spikes, etc.. .
If you ever learn to drive railroad spikes, you can hit wedges square with a regular axe head.

This is what I use. Can easily be stored in my lunch pail, and I haven't broken a wedge in years. Ergonomic handle design cuts down on blisters suffered by my town hands.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-17-12-53-13.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-17-12-53-13.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 19
Wow, you guys use such fancy tools. That's my wedge driver, not pretty or fancy but hasn't failed me in 5 years so far :) cost me $5 at a yard sale lolView attachment 498845

So hows about trying to pack that thing 2-3 miles a day? on cruddy ground, through thick brush, with a large saw, a few wedges, fuel, oil, and water?

while yes a big sledge makes wedging easier, carrying it is another thing all together.

pack that thing 2-3 miles a day

... you forgot to add in that it is late November and raining, with all the ferns and salial dripping , and hypothermia just waiting for you <G>

pack that thing 2-3 miles a day

... you forgot to add in that it is late November and raining, with all the ferns and salial dripping , and hypothermia just waiting for you <G>
I thought that was why you didn't wear cotton....? ;)

I like having the axe with hammer capabilities for those instances of "oh fudge I've been pinched"

Or 90 degrees on level 1 season with poison oak and ivy and lots of bees pissed off, a council axe just works better even just adding a plate on it for more weight some times is enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I have some quite nice pictures of one I did this to but.... they are on another site..... , and I don't have them on my phone at the moment.

The thing is perfectly balanced, I have a picture of it completely suspended on a nail head, and is almost exactly 5.0 lbs

I have some quite nice pictures of one I did this to but.... they are on another site..... , and I don't have them on my phone at the moment.

The thing is perfectly balanced, I have a picture of it completely suspended on a nail head, and is almost exactly 5.0 lbs
I started out with a 5.0 lbs head then add a piece of 3/4 plate to it.

I started out with a 5.0 lbs head then add a piece of 3/4 plate to it.

I believe mine was a Council Tool Hudson Bay, I don't remember how much those heads weight, but I then added a solid piece of round stock to it, and then ground until the stock was flater/flat-ish and 5lbs

So hows about trying to pack that thing 2-3 miles a day? on cruddy ground, through thick brush, with a large saw, a few wedges, fuel, oil, and water?

while yes a big sledge makes wedging easier, carrying it is another thing all together.
That's what kids and girlfriends a for. J/k sorta
Granted I don't slough through the woods all day every day. I work my 100acres every day I can usually put a 6-7h stretch in 3days a week.

What are you buildings a battleship?
First you got a claw hammer then a 5:lb axe..lol

Back