Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had my first experience with a blown flywheel-side seal assembly o-ring on my backup 1996 262. I thought it was just a carb adjustment it needed because I couldn't get the chain to stop turning at idle. Or maybe an old clutch spring. But when I turned it on its side when running and the rpm's changed, I knew I had bigger problems. I tore into it, did a pressure test and couldn't even get the gauge to move the leak was so bad. I finally discovered the o-ring under the flywheel seal cover was grossly leaking. I now know why I have heard people saying how nice the older metal seal covers are. This one had the white plastic version and it was REALLY warped. Fortunately I have some metal ones in the parts bin so I'll be putting that back together tomorrow with a new o-ring and crank seal.
Mine had the white plastic seal cover. It was warped so bad it leaked even with a new o ring. Duke Theiroff sent me a metal one and all is well!

I also had my first experience with a blown flywheel-side seal assembly o-ring on my backup 1996 262. I thought it was just a carb adjustment it needed because I couldn't get the chain to stop turning at idle. Or maybe an old clutch spring. But when I turned it on its side when running and the rpm's changed, I knew I had bigger problems. I tore into it, did a pressure test and couldn't even get the gauge to move the leak was so bad. I finally discovered the o-ring under the flywheel seal cover was grossly leaking. I now know why I have heard people saying how nice the older metal seal covers are. This one had the white plastic version and it was REALLY warped. Fortunately I have some metal ones in the parts bin so I'll be putting that back together tomorrow with a new o-ring and crank seal.

Well, I thought this was going to be a simple "swap with a metal seal holder" fix but it seems nothing is simple. I put the metal holder on with a new seal and new o-ring and pressure tested. Still leaking badly from the o-ring. Tried all kinds of things including another plastic holder and they all leaked at the o-ring. I finally figured out that the crank bearing was out too far and was preventing the seal holder from seating fully. I was able to slide a 0.005" feeler gauge between the holder and the crankcase when no oring was installed - it should have been flush. I took a deep-well socket about the size of the crank bearing and gave it a few good whacks. Now the seal holder sits flush and when put together, holds pressure and vacuum.

I found this odd because I have never done any bottom end work on this saw. It is actually the saw that first got me involved with the CAD afflicted people here when I decided I no longer wanted to be a one saw plan person.

Iv recently acquired a husky 359 that will soon be one the bench. It's supposed to be a runner. I know it's got a busted spot at the lower front AV mount but I pretty sure i can fix that. We'll see

I think I'm just gonna take it easy for awhile, I've taken apart 3 290s and have the parts in buckets sorted by clean and dirty. I clean them and put them in the clean bunch, so far there's more dirty than clean. Right now I'm trying to make two saws out of this three.

a8460e7d6e38d2b34c53fcbdbe7d3608.jpg

Damn, this one would be nice to put on my wall [emoji28]

Today I broke another Torx bit so I'm done until I get another one tomorrow. Right now I have to find something big enough to soak these chainsaw parts in. I have an automotive parts washer but it's too hard to get to in my crowded shop. I use it to stack parts on..

Back