Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a landscaping client call me and say that her saw would not start, she thought it was the choke or something so I said drop it off. Maybe an hour later she calls to ask what will I charge her to sharpen the chain. I told her 10 bucks ( dealer wants 15.00 ) so ok fine. When I got home there was a nice newish MS 261 in a case on my back deck.

11174826_1663656617195533_3739681336474492750_n.jpg

I clamp the saw in my vice and start to file the chain, but the file barely fits in-between the teeth. I check, yup right file, I touch the teeth and they are super super dull!! Hmmm I am thinking this is really odd... Pull the cord and little resistance.. OH WAIT decomp is pushed in.. All is saved..

10906331_1663656363862225_1721999157574297821_n.jpg

No.. No it is scored. I looked a bit deeper ....No oil in the oil reservoir, gas smelled funky and the chain super dull. I called and told her and she said oh ok. I will just buy a new saw, it was cutting so well then I really had to lean on it to cut then it just stopped. She then comes by with a brand new MS 291 20" bar and chain and sheepishly asked if she can have the case from the old one. I clean up the case and give her a spare chain I had 50% life left on it and away she goes. Now I have a 261 on the shelf. I will clean it up and price it at 750.00 and claim it is brand new never used !!! :rolleyes:

Had a landscaping client call me and say that her saw would not start, she thought it was the choke or something so I said drop it off. Maybe an hour later she calls to ask what will I charge her to sharpen the chain. I told her 10 bucks ( dealer wants 15.00 ) so ok fine. When I got home there was a nice newish MS 261 in a case on my back deck.

11174826_1663656617195533_3739681336474492750_n.jpg

I clamp the saw in my vice and start to file the chain, but the file barely fits in-between the teeth. I check, yup right file, I touch the teeth and they are super super dull!! Hmmm I am thinking this is really odd... Pull the cord and little resistance.. OH WAIT decomp is pushed in.. All is saved..

10906331_1663656363862225_1721999157574297821_n.jpg

No.. No it is not scored. I looked a bit deeper ....No oil in the oil reservoir, gas smelled funky and the chain super dull. I called and told her and she said oh ok. I will just buy a new saw, it was cutting so well then I really had to lean on it to cut then it just stopped. She then comes by with a brand new MS 291 20" bar and chain and sheepishly asked if she can have the case from the old one. I clean up the case and give her a spare chain I had 50% life left on it and away she goes. Now I have a 261 on the shelf. I will clean it up and price it at 750.00 and claim it is brand new never used !!! :rolleyes:
That just suck Lolol new saw:dumb2:

Can I ask how one can restore the finish on the plastics of a Stihl? I've got a 290 that I'd like to hybrid with to a 390 but the last owner seemed to have mowed his lawn with it and it's left with a dirty looking green and brown tint to it. No damage but it looks nasty and when I go to tear it down I'd like to complete it to showroom condition so to speak. Does it require sandblasting? Paint-over? Bleach? As you can tell, I haven't a clue lol

And sorry I'm way off subject, don't mean to high jack your thread...

Bench was busy at work this morning so I used the floor, replaced two lost muffler bolts on a new 3120, stud-locked this time, changed a brake band on a 201t and tuned a 660 after i stripped it last night and replaced diaphrams, vents and filter

I have had some success using polishing compound for automotive bumpers. I think acetone might be a little too harsh test it on the underside of the part.

I think I'll dilute it a bit first. Thought maybe watering it down but I think I'll try diluting with something else, just gotta figure it out first, don't need a meth-lab explosion happening.

Good point trying it on the bottom first, never thought of that. Props to you!

I cut like hell but a dirty saw really bothers me, I literally air blast the hell out of em and also thoroughly wipe them down between every fuel-up. As much as I like cutting, I cannot put away a dirty saw. It would drive me crazy. Even volunteering at my local saw shop and seeing customers bring in something that looks to be found at the bottom of a swamp then towed to the shop off the back of their hitch drawbar. It kills me! Lol

Polishing compound? Like turtle wax but for ABS plastics? Or you talking chrome bumpers?

Back