Can't take the heat- but it's getting cooler!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It's been too hot for splitting firewood. I have a couple cords to go, and a couple tree jobs lined up.

But it's starting to cool off now, so time to get the saws up and running again. First tree job is on Thursday, but it's just trimming. Next week I'll do a couple removals. That means I need to clear some space for more wood.
Looking forward to fall and winter!

Oh yes- and I'd better get busy and make some more bundles. Sold about 120 last year.

Had a get together at a friends hunting cabin over the weekend, was in the low 60's at night, really nice. I have a big Ash to take down Saturday, then I just gave a price on removing 20 Leyland Cypress. The Leylands are all about 40', easy job, but a lot of brush. Is the wood good for anything. Several of the trunks are big enough to mill. I can always make shelves in the shed with them, Joe.

It’s actually been a cool summer here. Been great sleeping weather as there is little heat at night. I am getting a bit worried about the garden. Tomatoes are not ripening and I have seen frosts before Labor Day. Work has dried up as much as the lawns and you need a good frost to start selling wood.

It is finally cool here also. My wood cutting is done for the year, and the splitting has to wait. August is when all the fruit is in full ripe and ready for picking and processing. I've got 87 gallons of Apple, Blueberry, Rhubarb, Apricot, and so so soon Elderberry and Oregon Grape wine in process or recently bottled. I've another 100lbs of sugar to dedicate towards wine making. No rest until it is all consumed. :)

Not quite cool enough here to get serious yet. Since I dont sale, my wood for this year and probably next was split last summer. I have managed to scrounge some wood and need to get it bucked, split, and stacked, just to get it out of the way of the mower. My splitter hasnt been cranked since last May, I probably need to do a little maintenance. I know the battery is dead, engine could use a oil change, tires are probably flat. A days work just getting ready to split wood.

Hot over here in North West Alabama also.
Might be well over 90 for the next few days.

Quite a bit of rain in the last few days.

David

A days work just getting ready to split wood.
I got a splitter in the garage you can have for a little pocket money. You don't even need to wax it. Already been done.
Rain day tomorrow.
The Super Split needs grease and oil change.
That one did a cord plus today, and it was a little warm out.

Going to be right around 90 for the next 5-7 days. Not too bad when the humidity isn't high. Will either be working on firewood or doing some landscaping jobs on the side pretty much every day.

If you want Hot, come down to Texas. August is the hottest month although this August has been a bit cool. We never broke thru 100 degrees. Today 95 degrees with 94% humidity. I was splitting a few days ago. It was total misery. I'm planning on welding a portable sun shield. I've been thinking about it for a while. This last splitting event said weld that thing up. It will serve 3 purposes; one I fly radio control airplanes so it will mostly sit by the runway, two tow it to my splitting area when needed and three, tow it anywhere I may have an equipment breakdown and have to do a field repair. Like when I had a tractor starter problem and had to remove starter with FEL in the way. Anyone build a sun shield like this. Post a picture if you have. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 11
Put on a t shirt an deal with it . I seen so much crap people with sweaters and winter coats when a little under 80 . Now really if you can take this kind of heat . Show me what you can take heat wise . I seen many times if you can't deal with the cold you can't take the heat . No one exercises there blood vessels they run to climate control . Many problems start with this . All every one wants to be is comfortable . The only way to achieve this state of mind is learning to be uncomfortable . Challenge your body and mind go for a big walk or small walk read a small book or big . The way I found total peace was go total extreme . I found ice water an breathing right a nice thing .

Put on a t shirt an deal with it . I seen so much crap people with sweaters and winter coats when a little under 80 . Now really if you can take this kind of heat . Show me what you can take heat wise . I seen many times if you can't deal with the cold you can't take the heat . No one exercises there blood vessels they run to climate control . Many problems start with this . All every one wants to be is comfortable . The only way to achieve this state of mind is learning to be uncomfortable . Challenge your body and mind go for a big walk or small walk read a small book or big . The way I found total peace was go total extreme . I found ice water an breathing right a nice thing .
I've spent days outside in -40 in Minnesota and in 98 degree heat doing manual labor in Florida.

How you cope with temps is very much controlled upstairs. Granted I'd rather work in 50 degrees than -10 or +90. But if you have the right mindset and the right clothing for cold and/or hydration for heat the human body can do remarkable in the extremes.

If you want Hot, come down to Texas. August is the hottest month although this August has been a bit cool. We never broke thru 100 degrees. Today 95 degrees with 94% humidity. I was splitting a few days ago. It was total misery. I'm planning on welding a portable sun shield. I've been thinking about it for a while. This last splitting event said weld that thing up. It will serve 3 purposes; one I fly radio control airplanes so it will mostly sit by the runway, two tow it to my splitting area when needed and three, tow it anywhere I may have an equipment breakdown and have to do a field repair. Like when I had a tractor starter problem and had to remove starter with FEL in the way. Anyone build a sun shield like this. Post a picture if you have. Thanks.
I haven't built one, but I have a pop-up one that fits in a carry bag. Sets up in 10 minutes.

I've spent days outside in -40 in Minnesota and in 98 degree heat doing manual labor in Florida.

How you cope with temps is very much controlled upstairs. Granted I'd rather work in 50 degrees than -10 or +90. But if you have the right mindset and the right clothing for cold and/or hydration for heat the human body can do remarkable in the extremes.
Mindset is a big thing . The body will adapt . I go for walks in the mid 20es shorts t shirt after a few minutes I warm up . My feet would be always cold in winter. I reach a point were I had enough I would show what cold feet felt like I would walk a long way in snow bare foot . I reach a point were I never cover my feet

Yep. I fully agree with that. I've worked in the cold all day while being uncomfortably cold, and in the heat when I was close to heat exhaustion and quaffing tons of water.

But I'm 47 now and have decided that I don't need to be so uncomfortable for money or even for wood. :drinkingcoffee:

Back