chain repair/spinning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Hey guys I looked and looked at old threads for a hour or two and could find a good answer...

I started making a couple chains for my 30in bars and now I have some chunks of chain left over. I don't have a problem putting 2 master links in a single chain but I'm wondering if I can spin 30RC and 72lgx together? I have just enough to make a new chain for my 24in bar. Both chunks are 050 3/8 full chisel.

Both look pretty similar but need to know for sure if I can use these two chunks to make 1 chain?

Done this before. If the pre-sets are of similar size and shape it will work. The difference is the distance between the rivet and the bottom of the pre-set that touches the rail. Works with Carlton and Oregon, but never tried a Stihl chain to anything else.

Done this before. If the pre-sets are of similar size and shape it will work. The difference is the distance between the rivet and the bottom of the pre-set that touches the rail. Works with Carlton and Oregon, but never tried a Stihl chain to anything else.

I only have 3-4 stihl chains for my ms260pro. Otherwise I try to stick with oregon, carlton, and windsor so I only have to keep 1 type of 3/8 050/058 master link around. Makes resize and repair easier.

If the distance from center rivit to bottom of preset is the same, will it matter if the cutters are of a different height (relative to rivit center)? Didn't know if it would effect the cut...???

Thanks!

both are 050... So you're saying I need to mix and match 050 with 063??? that doesn't seem right...???

both are 050... So you're saying I need to mix and match 050 with 063??? that doesn't seem right...???

It will once you understand the width of the drive links which is .063 on all stihl .325 and .375 chain regaurdless of guage (except .375 picco). The point of the D/L WHERE THE CHAIN IS JOINED, NOT WHERE IT FITS IN THE BAR GROOVE

It will once you understand the width of the drive links which is .063 on all stihl .325 and .375 chain regaurdless of guage (except .375 picco). The point of the D/L WHERE THE CHAIN IS JOINED, NOT WHERE IT FITS IN THE BAR GROOVE

Go back a min... I said 30RC (IE: CARLTON) and oregon lgx... I also said both are 050. I understand how to measure and spec a chain... :msp_sneaky: The only Stihl chain I have is for a 16in bar and that's only b/c I found them super cheap! I DON'T patch or resize Stihl chain b/c the links are like $2-$3ea! No thanks...

I just wanted to know if the difference between the carlton 30rc and the oregon lgx will keep me from splicing them together...

Go back a min... I said 30RC (IE: CARLTON) and oregon lgx... I also said both are 050. I understand how to measure and spec a chain... :msp_sneaky: The only Stihl chain I have is for a 16in bar and that's only b/c I found them super cheap! I DON'T patch or resize Stihl chain b/c the links are like $2-$3ea! No thanks...

I just wanted to know if the difference between the carlton 30rc and the oregon lgx will keep me from splicing them together...
Sorry guess I just seen the RC and missed the 30 which is Bailey's house speak for carlton.
But yep been there and done that no problems just different cutters and for a stump chain who cares.

Yes, it will work according to Baileys website if you have the ORPS 72 link.

From Baileys,
".3/8" Pitch Saw Chain Parts (Presets) .050 & .058 Gauge
Preset tie straps (Presets) are used to assemble chain loops or repair damaged chains. Presets have two rivets installed and require a tie strap on the opposite side to complete the connection. Fits the following chainsaw chain:

Carlton A1EP, A2EP, A1LM, A2LM, A1S, A2S (fits BL & GL also)
Oregon All 72 and 73 series chains (72CL, 72LGX, 73JGX etc.)
Windsor 50A, 58A, 50AG, 58AG, 50AL, 58AL, 50ALG, 58ALG, 50APL, 58APL
WoodlandPRO 30SC, 30SCS, 30RC, 30RCS, 30RP, 38RP, 38RC, 30XC, 38XC "

item ORPS 72

If desperate you can spin .050" chain to others as long as you use the .058"/.063" preset PROVIDING the actual final guage entering the bar is the same.

J W Younger's response above is correct for Stihl chain.

Although there are different rivet sizes in both .325" and .404" I am yet to see any standard 3/8" chain where their presets/tiestraps won't fit alternative brands. All you have to do is watch gauge and you'll know if you've run a .050" preset on .063" as you'll generally lock it up solid while spinning. Don't ask me how I know but I'll never accidentally drop .050" presets in the .063" section of my segmented tool box again. Even worse is accidentally dumping 3/8"LP .043" presets in the .050" section :(

For example in .404" Windsor and Stihl presets are interchangable but they won't fit Carlton or Oregon and vice versa.

Last edited:
Guys,
I'm try to find out what the correct size Carlton or similar joining presets & straps to use to join Stihl 3/8" Picco .050" 63PM1 saw chain?
The rivets are going to be properly spun etc
Also need to join some Stihl .325" .063" 26RM2 saw chain.
Really hard to find any info on this, it's most likely second nature for you.
What do I need to look for when buying this kinda gear off eBay?
Thanks,
Mark

Guys,
I'm try to find out what the correct size Carlton or similar joining presets & straps to use to join Stihl 3/8" Picco .050" 63PM1 saw chain?
The rivets are going to be properly spun etc
Also need to join some Stihl .325" .063" 26RM2 saw chain.
Really hard to find any info on this, it's most likely second nature for you.
What do I need to look for when buying this kinda gear off eBay?
Thanks,
Mark
You will need Stihl presets and straps. Local dealer will have them or try ebay.

Back