Swapping chain bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schhfh

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered already. Just bought a Stihl MS251 with an 18" .050" guide bar. Can I also use a .063 gauge bar (and .063 chain of course)? It seems like there are a lot more chains available with the thicker bar. Are the sprockets the same for both of these chains?
Thank you.

Sorry if this has been answered already. Just bought a Stihl MS251 with an 18" .050" guide bar. Can I also use a .063 gauge bar (and .063 chain of course)? It seems like there are a lot more chains available with the thicker bar. Are the sprockets the same for both of these chains?
Thank you.
Sprockets start life the same, i.e. one sprocket to rule them all...
However as they wear they can develop a "set" so it is possible you might have issues with it, but thankfully sprockets are easy to change and relatively cheap.
In short run what you have, it will probably be fine, but if its not, its an easy fix.

Tooth count and pitch are all you need to worry about for the sprocket. Your existing one will work but if you want to change it, do so soon before the sprocket wears to match the current gauge chain.

Curious how are you having trouble finding .050 chain? It is very common.

Tooth count and pitch are all you need to worry about for the sprocket. Your existing one will work but if you want to change it, do so soon before the sprocket wears to match the current gauge chain.

Curious how are you having trouble finding .050 chain? It is very common.
Seems to be more choices online. Plus I have some new 18" .063 chains from my old saw.

For years I used .050 chain various mfg. no complaints until lately. have been having a lot of streching problems with .050, going to .058 or .063 has resolved most of that due to the heaver componets. PLus the heavier chassis carries the oil better. Changing oil didn't affect much, plus increasing oil out put from saw as well opening up the oil ports on the guide bars had little effect. dosen't help that the newer saws are rather mizerly on oil out put. my bars start at 20" and extend out from there with 24 and 28 being the the 2 primary lengths i use. power heads start at 64cc on up. on my lttle saws 50cc on down 14-18" blades .050 works ok. Primary pitch .375 on my units . I do have components to run .404/.063 for some jobs, 120cc power head and 42 or 60 inch bars for those whopper stumps need grunt for those 4ft on up stumps.

Just bought a Stihl MS251 with an 18" .050" guide bar. Can I also use a .063 gauge bar (and .063 chain of course)? It seems like there are a lot more chains available with the thicker bar.
Thank you.

The drivers are thicker...not the bar.

Like others, I find it odd that you are having trouble finding chains. What pitch and number-of-drivers is your current chain?

You mention using chain from a previous saw...make sure those chains match whatever bar you buy (pitch, gauge, DL). I think of the 251 as using the homeowner bar mount (maybe I am wrong) and that might have a different DL count than your old chains, if they were for a larger bar mount.

Roy

Chain gauge can be very geographic as far as availability. Colorado is almost all .050. When I went to Texas I switched to .063, and preferred it. When I went to Alaska I ended up switching back to .050 because it was all I could find.

Right.

I guess...if the OP wants to buy only in-stock and local...he might need to buy a new bar.

Roy

I have a 251 that i have had for 8 or so years and I had a chance to get a new 18" wood boss bar and chain and am about ready to change it a get some cutting done. Going to look for some standing dead trees Monday. I thought it was a 16 bar on it when I got it new, it was a 18 and I'm glad cuz I have 2 new chains for the 18. I opened up the muffler a bit and it sure makes a difference. If I can find some trees I will get a 4 cord permit. Wish me luck. All of you be safe with your saws. Looking to do this again 20171019_120443.jpg

4 cords using the garden trailer?
Even 4 cords with a full-size pick-up is a lot of work.

But, you almost certainly know that!

Roy
Garden trailer, I made 2 of the trailers to go with both of the kingquads, lol . The 4 cord permit is the smallest that you can get, 25.00 for the permit. Back when i was cutting all summer i could get the 4 , now I don't think I will get half of it. Going to scout today. Finding standing dead in my area is hard to do. North and West of me there is lots of them but it's 2.5 hours away. East it's only 20 minutes to get some lodge pole pine.

Thank you.
On my 261 I run an 18'' bar with .063 chain and a 20'' Light 04 bar with .050. It all works fine.

Garden trailer, I made 2 of the trailers to go with both of the kingquads, lol . The 4 cord permit is the smallest that you can get, 25.00 for the permit. Back when i was cutting all summer i could get the 4 , now I don't think I will get half of it. Going to scout today. Finding standing dead in my area is hard to do. North and West of me there is lots of them but it's 2.5 hours away. East it's only 20 minutes to get some lodge pole pine.
Well I found 3 big trees just off the road 18" and another 3 about 2 miles from them. Also some smaller ones 6" here and there. Going to go back soon and get some of the ones that are the easiest to get. Going to get my permit this week.

Like others, I find it odd that you are having trouble finding chains. What pitch and number-of-drivers is your current chain?
Here is my recent experience with my MS250 which can use the same bar/chain as the 251. I recently needed a new bar and went with the new "light" bar that runs .050 - same bar as what is labelled as the "Wood Boss" bar, btw. For a decent portion of the first half of this year I had a difficult time finding a 68 link .050 chain for an 18" bar at my local Stihl dealer or online. Certainly I could've run a different brand but have had good experience with Stihl chains. A few weeks ago I was at an Ace and they had it in stock. Seems like the supply has opened up again, possibly. I don't believe Stihl has a previous application for this chain so it would be a new offering from them, although I don't think the individual links are different...

Here is my recent experience with my MS250 which can use the same bar/chain as the 251. I recently needed a new bar and went with the new "light" bar that runs .050 - same bar as what is labelled as the "Wood Boss" bar, btw. For a decent portion of the first half of this year I had a difficult time finding a 68 link .050 chain for an 18" bar at my local Stihl dealer or online. Certainly I could've run a different brand but have had good experience with Stihl chains. A few weeks ago I was at an Ace and they had it in stock. Seems like the supply has opened up again, possibly. I don't believe Stihl has a previous application for this chain so it would be a new offering from them, although I don't think the individual links are different...
To avoid ambiguity, exactly what Stihl stock number chain are you looking for?

Latest posts

Back