Damn back spasms!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may seem stupid, and I don't have any. But the brand good feet. They take a computer analysis of your feet and put together an insert for them. They do some tests to you first in your shoe's. the push over, up down strength and some others. Then they put you in theirs. I tell you what, you feel 20 years younger and twice as strong, in two steps. Stand upright chest out. I was amazed at how they made you feel instantly. They where expensive so I didn't get them. I think about it often tho.

This may seem stupid, and I don't have any. But the brand good feet. They take a computer analysis of your feet and put together an insert for them. They do some tests to you first in your shoe's. the push over, up down strength and some others. Then they put you in theirs. I tell you what, you feel 20 years younger and twice as strong, in two steps. Stand upright chest out. I was amazed at how they made you feel instantly. They where expensive so I didn't get them. I think about it often tho.

You had some made, but didn't buy them??

hmm, define expensive, round figures, thanks

You had some made, but didn't buy them??

hmm, define expensive, round figures, thanks

It's more of put together then made. They take a pre made shoe of theirs and put in some (things) in what the computer tells them to. It's no cost to them. If I remember correctly $200 for a pair of sneakers depending on style. Maybe $300.

I read recently that the pelvic muscles we don't use but should are a big factor in forming strong foot arches, couldn't tell you where I read it but my arches are definitely better with the exercises I'm doing. I want to put my exercises on here by I'm a little worried about copyright crap :(

That does seem stupid. (Sarcasm) Oh wait, thats one of the things I forgot I had tried. It felt great too - for a while. I bought several sets to cover work and different shoes. $500 entry and up to about a thousand before I relized I was no longer getting the 'good' feeling from them and took them out of all my shoes and boots.

So I have a couple of questions. One is, how does your body go about producing a 'Ruptured Disc" barring some single event compression type accident? And seperately, if Good Feet felt good to me at first, and I felt I was gettting possiteve results similar to quote above - what changed that I wasn't continueing to get possitive results?

This should answer your first question.
Lumbar Herniated Disc - Risk Factors, Diagnosis, and Treatments
My personal experience was from lifting too much at awkward angles. (An 8' heavy snowplow lifted up on to my truck bed)
Another thing that I think most people overlook is dehydration, this can play a very important role in your overall well being. Drink lot's of fluid. (beer and alcohol don't count, in fact the can dehydrate you)

Lots of good advice on here. I thought my back was not ever going to get better. I have a white collar job but have a blue collar life style. I need my back. As you can see from my avatar I ruptured a disc about two years ago. Medication and surgery seemed to be the only cure. I really didn't think that physical therapy would work. It is the best cure! I'm not totally pain free because I'm a slacker on my exercises. Stretching the hamstrings is huge....I will literally go from being in pain to no pain right after doing my hamstring stretches. Stretch, Stretch and Stretch. Thanks for the posts guys. I want to give a shout out to P.A. Woodsman...he helped me out mentally when I was going through my back issues. Thanks Les!

I've been meaning to come back here for a while. I've been doing Foundation exercises by Dr. Eric Goodman whilst doing a full time tree job. I have never been stronger or felt more stable. The key in these exercises is getting the back muscles working properly and not bending the spine. The back, butt and hamstrings are the strongest muscles in the body and are to designed to lift the upper body and take all the strain without the spine moving/bending. We all use the spine as a structural support which it isn't. The muscles are there for support but through bad movement and positioning we put all the strain into the spine itself and then wonder why it can't cope with all the weight and it collapses. Dr. Goodman blew several discs in his early twenties yet leads a very active life because he doesn't rely on his spine for support. WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.the spine naturally degenerates but if the muscles are working as they were designed then it doesn't matter.
I loaded the truck with a full load of Oak rings on my own and it was no bother, oh and I'm taller too.
Anybody has back trouble and can dedicate a little time and effort then Foundation training is worth a go for a month, remember that you are training muscles from scratch in some cases so it can take time but its worth it.

I was wondering if the back problems has anything to do with having hernia problems. I've had one operation and really don't care for another.

A little update on my condition. I was seeing a chiro at least once a week and now it's more like maybe every ten days and am currently two weeks since my last visit. This isn't really a big deal to me because I only have a ten dollar copay. He has shown me some stretches to do and I will second the hamstring stretch. He has also had me working on strengthening up my core. I won't say I am 100% pain free but life is pretty damn good again. As soon as I feel it getting tight I will stretch and it really makes a difference.

A little update on my condition. I was seeing a chiro at least once a week and now it's more like maybe every ten days and am currently two weeks since my last visit. This isn't really a big deal to me because I only have a ten dollar copay. He has shown me some stretches to do and I will second the hamstring stretch. He has also had me working on strengthening up my core. I won't say I am 100% pain free but life is pretty damn good again. As soon as I feel it getting tight I will stretch and it really makes a difference.

You'll find your hamstrings will need stretching as you're treating the symptoms and not the cause. My hamstriings have.been bad for a long time and no matter how many massages I had they just came back. We are too front dominated, taught to put the pressure through our abs so we get hernias and our backs get weaker, then we pick up something heavy and bend our backs and do so much damage, then when we pick up a pen our backs go and we're buggered. I was seeing a masseur once a week with sciatica, tight hamstrings, pulled shoulder muscles, calves, foot cramps, bad neck, bad posture and occassional back pain when lifting small things, I had a very weak core too even though I am physically strong. I started foundation training and I haven't seen a masseur since, if we don't use our muscles properly then they will cause trouble.

Well sad to report, spasms are back with a vengeance. Been laid up since Monday morning with them and they are a real b*tch this time. It's all I can do just to put on shoes and socks or as my brother in law from Vermont would say, dress my feet.

Well sad to report, spasms are back with a vengeance. Been laid up since Monday morning with them and they are a real b*tch this time. It's all I can do just to put on shoes and socks or as my brother in law from Vermont would say, dress my feet.

Sucks, just sucks! Really, if you can, hang from a tree branch, a chinup bar, and use an inversion table. That's the only therapy that keeps me going and able to do anything, been working over 20 years now since my accident. Make gravity work for you, not against you, spine wise.

No easy cure. Yoga for prevention. If you try that, find someone who has been teaching a while, like decades. Pilaties is good too. Stay away from 'hot yoga' (just my opinion).

Oh. Get a log lift, and use a pulp hook when processing. Your body is a consumable product, meaning, it will wear out. Sooner rather then later if abused. Put a conveyor on the list too.

There's always horse liniment...

This is a three year old thread. I did not read it all, but it does suggest you may need to change how you do something, or add something to it.

The bodies core bends forward/backwards, side/side, and rotates. Pilates and yoga asanas (movement) can help with awareness, balancing these movements, and core alignment.

Pilates, originated by Joseph H. Pilates' , began and evolved as a series of rehabilitation programs for soldiers, and aided thousands of injured war veterans.

Whatever you do, be proactive, and not rely solely on doctor prescribed pain killers as a solution.

Margaret, my wife, just ordered some fun bumper stickers. One says something like, "Ask your doctor if medical advice from television commercials is right for you."

Just a fluke thing for me. It happened once when I was 17 and now once again at 36- although this round is much worse. Nothing brought it on that I could tell at least injury or work wise. Stayed home from work today and my job isn't even physical. Feeling better today and hoping to get back to it so i can hopefully reach my 100 cord goal for this year.
Take it easy a few more days.

Proper movement is the key, yoga, pilates etc are very worthwhile, the spine is not a structural member and needs the muscles to support it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I try all sorts of stuff although I'm not great at keeping up with it - stretches, core strengthening, etc. I am not a fan of taking a pill to make things go away so I almost always just suck it up and deal with it.

If your not using one, try a pulp hook when splitting. The hard part with using it is, switching off and using it equal time with both hands. If not, you'll be walking in the back door sideways, with one set of knuckles dragging on the floor. They really help with resplitting, big stuff especially. I suggest it because it can take some of the back work out of it. It's an ergonomic thing. And you can really move some wood with one if it has the triangular ground tip. Bailey's has them. Get an extra tip with it too.

Back