death by dust ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor maintenance or poor filtration on this model?

On the ones I have torn down for rebuild this is common. The intake throat is usually coated with crud, filter looks fine. There seems to be quite a leak between the filter and the plastic intakebody that holds the filter.

The crank on this saw will not turn without force.

My personal 562's all leak there, so I coat the seam with grease, but I doubt most users will bother with this effort, just guys here on AS maybe?

using a felt filter instead of the nylon mesh air filter helped my cs2253 from eating so much dust, it was bad with either the black or yellow mesh filter.

using a felt filter instead of the nylon mesh air filter helped my cs2253 from eating so much dust, it was bad with either the black or yellow mesh filter.
That is good general advice on the filters. Felt filter in this particular saw, there is little dust anywhere else on the saw, just in the intake housing. My 562 all have the felt filter and I can swab out dust weekly from the intake, there is quite a gap between the filter and housing. Supposedly there is a new updated intake in the works.

Husqvarna/Electrolux should be able to fix a problem that sucks:rolleyes:

Well it sure looks like dust killed that one. The bottom end also looks a bit dry IMHO.

Why Husky doesn't use a soft seal boggles the mind. I also question why on earth the 550's come with a mesh filter? Looks like Husqvarna needs to do more R&D.

I've had good luck with flocked filters, plus a bit of K&N spray filter oil. Grease helps, but I found the filter media it's self lets in most of the dust.

Well it sure looks like dust killed that one. The bottom end also looks a bit dry IMHO.

Why Husky doesn't use a soft seal boggles the mind. I also question why on earth the 550's come with a mesh filter? Looks like Husqvarna needs to do more R&D.

I've had good luck with flocked filters, plus a bit of K&N spray filter oil. Grease helps, but I found the filter media it's self lets in most of the dust.

Exactly right Andy. The Husky filter media is the biggest issue and has the same problems as the standard flocked Dolmar filters. More often than not it is fine particulates going straight through the filter media itself, rarely around it. In softwoods this is generally not an issue but in certain Eucalypt species, especially when dead, this is a major issue. Filter oil fixes the issue straight away and I had the exact same dust ingression issues with my 550XP, 390XP's, and 3120XP's. Filter oil fixed the lot. Also the same issues with the standard filters on my 7900's and 5100-S.
Husky have a lot of catching up to do in dusty conditions. The Stihl HD2 and Dolmar HD setups kick their arse.

When we got a bunch of new 550xp's at work, we found the same issue after long periods of extended use. I put grease on the intake manifold and it helped a little bit.

It makes no sense how such great saws can have such a big flaw with the air filter setup.

Makes those sweet m-tronic saws shine even more with their "better" air filter setup.

Back